Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tuna, Salads, Good Health #16

I have talked about needing to eat more fish for the benefit of omega 3, protein and to better my HDL cholesterol. Tuna is my fish of choice and is a nutrient full food.  It is high in omega 3, protein, and contains several beneficial nutrients and minerals which include; magnesium, selenium, potassium, vitamins B3, B6, and B1.  The omega 3 in tuna is very beneficial to your cardiovascular system and good health.  It reduces the possibility of blood clots in arteries, increases HDL cholesterol, and lessens inflammation which is a cause of plaques that block your arteries.  Tuna and its omega 3 can also lower your triglycerides.  I am now eating tuna at least 3 times a week, normally canned tuna (packed in water), and I eat it with a lettuce and tomato salad for lunch.   For me tuna has been a versatile food much like oatmeal.  Flavorful, filling, satisfying, and healthful.  Much like the benefits of oatmeal, tuna was a mainstay of my weight loss, and I am again enjoying tuna regularly for lunch.

My last triglyceride test result level was 45.  Less than 150 is considered normal, or good.  Triglycerides are calories, or fat not used by your body, which is stored in your bloodstream until needed as energy.  However high levels are unhealthy, and are associated with high cholesterol and heart disease.  I have read that causes of high triglycerides are eating more calories than you use, excessive drinking of alcohol, lack of adequate exercise, and being overweight.  To reduce your triglycerides to normal, or good levels, lose excess weight, eat healthier low calorie foods, such as vegetables, and fruits.  Reduce the amounts of alcohol you drink, and begin to exercise on a regular basis.

I have been reading some about the health benefits of olive oil, eating more foods using olive oil, and the healthy lifestyle of the Mediterranean people.  I am going to try some basic salads and see what I think of them.  I have to admit I'm a little cautious about the calories and amounts of fat in the olive oil or eating any fish cooked in oil.   I just don't want to gain weight or go the wrong way in keeping my cholesterol under control because of the olive oil.  I do intend on trying some Mediterranean salads. 

Three years ago  Cindy and I went to Hawaii, just before the Christmas Holidays. Anthony Bourdain who does a food and travel program, "No Reservations" and his production crew were there and stayed 10 days at the same resort as we did.  His wife was traveling with him and early one morning I went down for coffee and she was seated next to me.  I introduced myself and told her that I had been a fan of her husband's program for quite some time.   She was born on the island of Sardinia and a lot of her family is still there. Bourdain later did a program from Sardinia and went in depth about the healthy lifestyle and health benefits of the local foods they eat.  Obviously olive oil, salads, pasta, cheese, and fresh fish being an important part of  their daily menu. Sardinian's credit their diet with their having such a low rate of cardiovascular health problems.  Tonight we are going to try a new salad, Mediterranean pasta salad.  I may take the pasta out of mine, if it is good I'll post all of the ingredients.  I have been a fan of Anthony Bourdain since he was on the food channel.  I especially like his sort of off-beat sense of humor, and his being quite frank with his opinions.  If you have never seen the program "No Reservations" it is fun to watch and is on the Travel Channel.   Caution, it is not about eating good healthy cholesterol free foods for heart attack survivors.
 I get hungry each time I watch it.............

Are you working out yet?  Have you joined a fitness center?

Next time we will talk about working out, trainers, weight loss and maybe review some new healthy food ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT