Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Still Improving #20

I had my check up a few days ago and was pleased with my test and examination results.  My total cholesterol was 105, about the same as 6 months ago.  HDL had risen 5 points, Triglycerides and LDL remained low, which is the benefit of healthy diet and regular exercise.  My cardiologist says if my cholesterol and heart health continue to improve, I will be able to discontinue taking some cholesterol medication and a blood thinner.  He reviewed the charts I keep of my blood pressure readings since my last office visit.  He
feels my continuing to exercise daily and a healthy diet will have a lot to do reducing the amounts of medication I will need to take.  I'm taking vitamin B12 daily to increase my energy and stamina.  My B12 level had gotten low.  I'm not sure how or for how long.  It can affect your energy level and central nervous system.  Normal consumption of meats, fish, poultry, shellfish, and dairy products should provide healthy B12 levels.  I have read that there are either none, or very few vegetables, that are a source of vitamin B12.   Calves liver, sardines, venison are supposedly very good B12 sources. Since I eat almost no red meat he felt I should take supplemental B12

I still look forward to my daily workouts.  The new exercises are working well into my routine and I am improving my posture from doing those. Some of my new routine involves stretching and that has really helped stiffness I have felt in the mornings.

Cindy and I have started spending time at the outdoor pool at our fitness center.  I am beginning to notice a lot of seniors, (my age group) are attending swimming classes in the lap pool before it opens for family time.  You know swimming laps is considered excellent cardio exercise, maybe that's something I should look into doing.

My exercise routine includes the elliptical. I had told you feeling comfortable with it had been a problem in the beginning.  I now do my 15 minutes, after doing 30-40 minutes on the treadmill.  Took a little time but I guess being consistent increased my elliptical stamina comfort level.  In the beginning about 6 minutes seemed to be my limit, I just kept trying daily to increase just a minute or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT