Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Medications #19

It's summertime and it is hot. I spend a lot of time outside doing yard stuff, mowing grass, trimming tree limbs, keeping driveway clean.  Exciting huh? Do I miss those tension and stress filled days of running a business?  Did it so long I pretty much knew what was going to go wrong each day before it went wrong.  So and so is not going to be here today, oh really, I'm shocked. What delivery truck broke down? And which phones lines are the irritated customers wanting to talk to me?  I've been lucky in no longer having to deal with intense stress on a daily basis, that has had a lot to do with my becoming healthy again.  Yeah give me some nice stress free yard work, and a 4 year old partner to help me.

When I am working  outside, in the heat, I wear long sleeve jersey style tee-shirts.  I stay very cool when inside and wear long sleeves inside and outside, 99 degrees outside. I may infrequently perspire, not sweat, perspire a little.  Cindy keeps the house inside temperature cool,  and does not like the outside heat. We are very opposite in our outside and inside temperature comfort zones.  When workingout, I exercise very vigorously, and do not get hot enough to sweat much. I wear long sleeves there too.  I may perspire just a little.  To me sweating is when you have gotten so hot it is very obvious.   Perspiring is completely different, it is some dampness.  I think the being cool nature, and no perspiration is part of taking medications that lower my heart rate and blood thinners.  When on the treadmill or elliptical, I push myself pretty well now.  My heart rate still stays low.  I'm beside someone going at same level, their heart rate monitor shows 145-155, I'm at 115.    Cindy is concerned I am over doing it by being in outside heat, but it doesn't bother me. Next week I'll tell my cardiologist about all of this and see what he thinks.  I'll let you know what he says.  When we go, Cindy goes with me, we will give him daily blood pressure readings for the last few months.  Here is some more advise for you: the benefit of having a good medical advocate and administrator.  I know there are some of you saying right now, what's up with this guy, he can't go to the doctor without his wife.  As a heart attack, and heart surgery patient under the care of a cardiologist like me you are probably taking a lot of medication.  I am taking 13 different prescription pills daily.  Since being released from the hospital and being under cardiologist care, the number of different daily medications, dosage, and the frequency, of medication has changed. In some instances, perhaps one medication was stopped and replaced with another, or stopped completely. I may no longer take it.  With all of that being said most of you now know where I'm headed because you have to do the same.   Back to my advise. We don't leave anything to chance when it comes to medication and neither should you.  Cindy will also have a complete chart on medications and any changes since my last appointment.  She will give the doctor and his assistant a copy to compare their records with ours. Your doctor is seeing a lot of patients and looking at a lot of charts.  I have had it over looked that a particular medication was stopped, or changed. My cardiologist certainly has no problem with us keeping records and giving him a list of what I currently take and dosage.  You know you also have to be sure your doctor is prescribing in correct refill amounts and time span to meet your insurance medication drug policy requirements.

 Cindy wants all of you to know she available for advocacy or administrative advice on your behalf.   I'll give her a good reference.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT