Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fitness Center, Ellipticals, Treadmills #17

Last post I ask if you were working out, or a member of a fitness club yet?  I'm trying to re-invent myself, workout rigor that is.  I'm hoping to take my workout up a notch or two.  I told you I am now using an elliptical trainer. Most of you know what that is.  It simulates the motion of running without your feet, knees, and legs having to absorb the impact of meeting a hard surface.  It is a way for old timers, like some of us, to exercise the upper and lower body muscles used in running and not having our feet, joints, and knees taking the punishment.  A lot of guys my age run and have been running for years and have kept their body in shape.  A lot of guys and gals our age use an elliptical for exercising those muscles, plus it is excellent cardio exercise.  I only go about 12 - 15 minutes on the elliptical and I'm done.  There is some difference of opinion about the elliptical offering more benefits than the treadmill.  One being there is not much difference in the muscles exercised, which is probably true in the lower body, waist and hips, but I get so much more rigorous upper body movement on the elliptical rather than the treadmill.  Another difference is the rate of calories burned or used.  Some say the two machines are virtually the same.  In my personal use I have found the treadmill to be very good at burning off calories, fat, and working the cardio system.  The elliptical does the same but I use a lot more calories on the elliptical than treadmill.  I use the treadmill first and when finished go directly to the elliptical.  There are several styles of elliptical, rear driven, front driven, different style platforms, handles, and motions.  There are 4 different styles at my fitness center.  Three of which I can not use.  I feel uncomfortable and can't stay on them more than a couple of minutes without feeling awkward and tired.  I finally found one I could get use to. It is a Precor, think the model is 1001.  It has yellow trim.  Anyway,  I am enjoying more each day using the elliptical. The first week I had to really push myself to stay on it, just didn't like it, but as you watch those calories burning off and can feel it pumping your cardio system, you feel better about it.  If I could use only one of the two it would be the treadmill.  I credit it with having a lot to do with my success in rebuilding strength and stamina.

Only occasionally do I use a trainer.  First, they can be expensive, $50.00 - $100.00 per hour.  My membership includes accruing free funds.  I can use for personal training, or classroom group sessions.  I do both, but only when I have accrued free dollars to spend.  Man, I hate for you to figure out I'm cheap......I prefer to think of me as being economical, a complete spending opposite of the person with the Droid Smartphone I live with.

Having a trainer on a regular basis, I believe, is not  necessary. Some folks use a trainer almost every time they work out.  Please don't be offended, I know there are a lot of circumstances where using a personal trainer is important and beneficial.  I'm speaking based on my personal experiences and health circumstances.   As I have said, using a trainer for an orientation, to get you started and to develop an initial exercise routine is important, very important.  You need a thought through plan and a goal of what you need to accomplish.  Remember I put a lot of emphasis on having your cardiologist involved in this stage, before you pick up one pound or take one step on a treadmill.  Your cardiologist needs to advise you in establishing what you can and can not do.  Then talk to your fitness center, tell them of your heart condition, perhaps they have a trainer who works with cardiovascular patients like you .  Once you get all of this done, you will begin to develop a basic routine of the exercises, training machines, and strength equipment you use.  How many repetitions, and how much weight to use. How long to use a treadmill, or elliptical.  Once you do this, then my advice is to establish a routine of in what order and how much time you will spend on each individual segment of your exercise routine.  When I'm doing my routine I stay on course, don't visit with the person beside me or stop and say hello, how are you? and all that stuff.  I complete each segment, and don't vary repetitions, or the order in which I go through my exercise routine.  I save the socializing for when I've finished.  You will find most other people serious about working out will be the same way, they don't want to be interrupted.

Good luck I'm sure you will do well.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT