Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bananas, Posture, #18

We talked about training last time, and I want to follow up on that.  I hope some of you who were not exercising are considering it.  I am assuming you're physically able.  When I began my very short walks my daughter Michelle and wife were very encouraging of me being proactive in exercising. They didn't push or nag on about it, just kind of one little step at a time until I progressed to wanting to join a fitness center.  Some of you new to exercise and fitness might be apprehensive about how to get started, what equipment to use, just everything about it being strange to you.  Don't let that hold you back or you will never get started. I would think most of us who have had heart attacks and heart problems were not much on exercise so you are not by yourself.  I'll be surprised if once you get started you don't enjoy it and feel better about yourself.  Heck if I miss a day I feel like I've let myself down.  One of the things I discussed last time was getting  in an exercise routine, which I firmly believe in.  One  mistake I have made is not changing the exercises I am doing.  I didn't realize I had gotten into a rut.  I told you about me making quite a few changes in my exercises, mostly because I wanted to improve my posture.  Well I've been into it for almost two weeks and I can tell a big difference, plus I'm enjoying having some new exercises to do.

Following are some of most healthy fruits according to World's Healthiest Foods listing.  Cantaloupe, bananas, oranges, pears, apples, grapes, raspberries, watermelon, blueberries, and strawberries. During any given week I will eat all of these varieties when available.  Daily I eat strawberries, oranges,and bananas.  I have looked at several websites for the recommended daily allowance of fruit and have found nothing definitive.   A lot of depending on your age, sex, physical activity and some recommending up to 400-600 grams per day.  We don't have a gram-o-meter at my house so I eat 1 cup of strawberries, or more.  One banana, and one orange.  I am somewhat confused about bananas.  I enjoy having a banana daily, know that they are high in potassium, vitamin B-6, low in sodium and benefit regulating your blood pressure.  But I have read some, not a lot but some, negative articles about effects of eating too many bananas.   One being that bananas are high in sugar and are not a good diet food.  The other is more serious and that is eating too many high potassium foods and the affects of elevated potassium level.  Being high potassium can effect your nerve functions, and cause your heart to decrease activity.  Meaning it could lead to cardiac arrest.  I had an experience about 8  weeks after my heart attack.  I had a blood test taken at my cardiologist office and they called  frantically the next day telling me to cease taking a medication and to stop eating any foods with potassium.  It seems my potassium level was very high.  They changed the medication and told me to stay off the bananas for 2 weeks.

I had a great work out today.  I really got into the elliptical and treadmill with a lot of vigor.  My new floor exercises and pull ups are working.  I can actually see and feel my posture improving, hallelujah, and Cindy agreed in seeing a difference. I can now lay completely flat on the floor, lowering my head all the way down.  In effect being completely flat from back of my head to my heels.  One straight line.  Sad isn't it, being excited about laying my head back all the way flat.  Before I couldn't do it.  That was part of my posture problem, wasn't or couldn't stand erect.  I'm not there yet but I am making good progress.

Next time we will talk about medications and some more about fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT