Sunday, May 19, 2013

Living a Healthy Lifestyle #154

This blog began over 3 years ago at the urging of my wife and daughter to share my experiences of recovery from a heart attack and heart surgery.   The basics of my success in returning to an active and healthy life were exercise, eating healthy foods, and achieving a healthy weight. 

In the beginning I was the absolute less likely person to exercise, become physically fit, or to join a fitness center.   So do not think it is something that you can not do.  I was in pretty poor physical condition with no stamina in the 6 months following heart surgery.  After getting approval from my cardiologist to the level of exercise I could begin with I started walking a treadmill and using an elliptical exercise machine on a daily basis.  From there I used a trainer at my fitness club who worked with heart patients as myself in developing a suitable to my limitations basic exercise program.  Let me say this was a one hour session.  That was it.  You will not need to spend a lot of money to be under the tutelage of an expensive hourly paid professionally trainer.   You will just need the basics and once you are familiar with that, simply watching and observing the techniques others use on exercise equipment will pretty well guide you to where you can safely and confidently do the same.

 I have been on an exercise and eating healthy foods self made program for the last 3 1/2 years.  I did not used any quick weight loss diet plans, mail order meals, or group oriented weight loss programs. Think about it, what do any weight loss programs, or fad diets know about what you need to do to lose weight that you don't already know?  In my opinion you mostly need to have the mindset and determination of regaining your heart health and living a healthy lifestyle.   I will make you one guarantee.   You will not achieve those results if you are seeking a short term easy solution to being in better health than most people your age.  You will need to put  your old unhealthy habits behind you if you want a complete recovery and not to be one of those repeat heart attack statistics.  You are in an elite survivors club now.  So why would you not not change your lifestyle and risk not being so lucky the next time?   You can have successful results  if you  dedicate yourself to changing your lifestyle and practice daily eating healthy foods, having regular exercise, and achieving a healthy weight.

Next time specifics on exercise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT