Friday, May 13, 2011

You've Got Legs #9

Exercising, working out, walking, any of these done on a regular daily basis are some important things we do to improve and maintain a healthy cardiovascular system.  Working out has become something I enjoy and look forward to doing.  But exercising can become boring if I don't change my routine occasionally.  Which type of strength machines, how many repetitions, how often I do certain exercises. In which order I do them. I change a few at intervals, just to keep exercising from becoming a boring duty, rather than something to look forward to. I even change the times of day I go.

It is easy to get bored on the treadmill, so I will watch music videos (several TV' screens along the walls) people watch, or listen to my iPod.  I always try to pick out a treadmill where I can see the front entrance and can watch whose coming and going.  After the treadmill I'll begin strength training exercises.   Usually doing 100 rep's on the total abdominal machine.  If you're losing weight you'll want to do some exercises to tighten up those soft and flabby muscles......I do some leg extensions, this should help your leg muscles and circulation.  I then do some weight lifting about 70 lbs. and about 40 reps.  It's then back to the abdominal for another 40 reps,  I'm then doing some back rows, and finish up by doing 50 reps on an abdominal crunch machine.  All of these are vigorous exercises, increasing my heart rate, training muscles, and hopefully improving my strength and heart health.

You'll see people of all ages, shapes, and sizes working out.  Not many true athletes, just folks like you and me wanting to take care of their health and bodies.  That's not to say everyone is there strictly for coronary health.  Some are working on strength, building more muscle, toning their bodies. Runners and cyclers are usually slender and physically fit, they're working on building leg strength and stamina.  Again the vast majority are like the rest of us.  Working on general fitness.

How many people do you know who have had heart attacks?  Did they change their lifestyles like us to improve their health?  I know 2 guys who were like me.  Not eating right, not exercising, overweight, one was a smoker and still is.  Neither has changed eating, or exercising habits. Are we overreacting by radically changing our lifestyle and focusing on health and exercise?  If you are in your 50's or 60's why would you not at least try to become healthier after a heart attack?  I would like to know the statistic's of this. Of those who had heart attacks, and heart surgery, how many had to have heart surgery again at a later time?  I've had 2 cardiologists tell me that it is rather common, and people like you and I are more uncommon, those that actually make the changes to better health.

While working out the other day a lady came up and told me I had great legs.  And yes, the first thing I did when I got home was tell my wife. She didn't seem too concerned ????  Apparently she is not that impressed with my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT