Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I Won't Forget Not To Do That Again #12

Had my session with a trainer today. I wanted a few floor exercises I could do without being aided by strength equipment.  My cardio workout seems to be improving based on my feeling stronger after each daily session. So well that I am using the elliptical now.  I may have already told you that, my memory ability seems to be not as good as once was.

Cindy and I were talking  yesterday about what is the one most glaring  results of aging that has affected me more than any other.  Being a heart attack survivor, has that prohibited me from returning to a normal active life?   No, having a heart attack pushed me to changing my life..... for the better.   You all know, I'm going to say we, meaning you and me.  We have worked hard not to be a victim, not to whine and lay around, say I'm never going to be the same, I can't to do this, or I can't do that.  No, we are as active as before, in my case I think I'm more active, enjoying life more, enjoying my grandchildren.   What has affected me more than I want to admit, short term memory loss. Yeah, you too huh.  I can be in my office, think of something I need to do, walk downstairs to tell Cindy, and can't remember.  I don't tell her I forgot what I'm here for.   I just say I'm going up to my office, I get there and kind of go into instant replay mode of what I was doing before I went downstairs.  You still with me?  I try to remember by re-enacting the last couple of minutes.  Now this is not a once a  week thing, it's like maybe every day occurrence. 

Cindy bought me a spiral note book to make notes in when I have something to do later, so when I go to do whatever it is and I have forgotten, just check my notes, so she says.   So here I go, back downstairs and I'm looking around, and around, she says lost " your note book, right?" Yep, forgot where I laid it.

You guys know, never, ever, indicate to your wife, or ever acknowledge, that she has had a memory loss moment.  You have to ignore it and just become oblivious to their lapses in memory. If not, the consequences can be bad,  unforgiving. It's like telling them  "you're getting old".   A couple of weeks ago, Cindy's cell phone stopped working.  She was always misplacing it.  She was worse about her cell phone than I was about losing my note book, the one about things not to forget.  She says, " what kind of phone do you think I need?"  Like a big dummy I say "get one about the size of a gallon of milk,  fluorescent orange colored, with a homing beacon on top of it".  Wow,  I won't forget not to do that again.  She now has the most expensive Droid cell phone she could find,  compliments of my American Express Card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT