Friday, May 27, 2011

Changing Exercise Routine #14

When I got to the fitness center this morning there were not as many people there as normal.  I go around 6:00 am.  That is usually a busy time .  Mostly lots of working people are there.  They begin to finish up exercising around 7:00 am, shower, change, and they are off to the office.  Must be as many ladies as guys who follow that pattern.  FedEx has 2 training centers which employ around 3,000 nearby, and their corporate headquarters are not much further down the road. I know a lot of our members are FedEx folks.  This is a holiday weekend coming up so I quess that explains why not as many were working out this morning. I had a great workout, really felt good afterwards.

Memorial Day weekend has always been one of my favorite holidays.  I like car races,  any Nascar race, and I don't think I have missed watching on TV, or listening on radio,  an Indy 500 for more years than we have been married.  When I was 11 years old my Uncle took me to the race.  That was back when the drivers wore small white helmets, tee-shirts and no roll cage on the cars.   The cars were like supercharged explosive gas cans on 4 wheels.   My wife doesn't care much about races, but several years ago I got her to go to the Daytona 500 with me.   This 500 turned out to be Jeff Gordon's first Daytona 500 win.   I was, and have been a Gordon fan since he drove in the Busch series.  Anyway, Cindy went along being a good sport but she had no race interest.  The business I was in gave me the opportunity to go to numerous Nascar events, and I always had tickets, hospitality passes, excellent start/finish line high seating,  and so on.   Cindy wasn't much impressed as we took our seats.   However as the cars came around turn 4 for the start of the race, and the engines of 43 cars roared and they thundered  by at 200 mph she stood and didn't sit down for the next 20 laps.  Every time Jeff Gordon in the 24 car  came by she cheered for him.   She doesn't watch Nascar,  but still ask after a race where Jeff finished.

I'm trying some new exercises, and  dropping some from my workout routine.  My shoulders and neck have been bothering me some, and my posture is getting not so good.  I'm beginning to slump my shoulders forward somewhat and have trouble standing completely straight.  I have been doing some exercises on strength machines which have worked well in increasing my neck and shoulder muscles, which was not my intent.  The intent was to increase blood circulation, increase heart rate, and firm up.  It did all of that , but I now have to back off  those and do some to help me walk more erect with more relaxed shoulders and neck muscles. Nothing has changed in my cardio core exercises, that all stays the same.  I'm going to focus more on my back and sides, and not my shoulders and neck.  I have started the new floor exercises.   I'll let you know how I do and if they work on improving my posture.

I'm going to try to eat more fish. Hopefully it will improve my HDL.  I really need to get it to 50.  Considering that I'm eating mostly fruits, vegetables, and chicken the LDL should remain low.   I just have not been eating enough fish for the Omega 3, and that is probably holding my good cholesterol down.

This is the weekend I used to always do a cookout for family.  Barbequed ribs, chicken, hot dogs, potato salad, slaw, home made ice cream. The only one of these I'll miss is the potato salad. I'm not doing a cookout this year and don't and would not eat anything like this. 

Cindy hasn't misplaced her new Droid phone yet, hope she doesn't read this. She bought a protective custom fit cover for her phone, you will never guess what color?    That's right and it's bright too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT