Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Heart Patient Advanced Exercises #126

Push ups are an exercise I have become enthusiastic about.  Some refer to push ups as one of the most effective exercises you can do.  Why?  It combines strength building and cardiovascular exercising.  The increased heart rate and pumping of blood throughout your circulatory system gives you the benefits of a good cardiovascular exercise.  (Do not perform push ups until you are fully recovered, have been actively exercising, and prior approval of your doctor)  And finally the proper motion and movement of your arms, shoulders, legs and abdomen give you benefits of stretching along with toning a great many of your overall muscles.  I have told you previously I was intimidated about doing push ups and did not attempt doing them until about 5 months ago.  (Two years after surgery, and the beginning to actively exercise)  When I first began or attempted them going down was easy. Coming back up was a major struggle.  I mean very major struggle.  When I got to that point and could not lift I very nonchalantly looked around to be sure no other workout folks had seen my arm muscles quivering like jello as they strained unsuccessfully to lift my body more than 2 inches from the floor.  That embarrassment prompted me to make a decision that I am proud of.  To not give up and I tried it again.  Not right then but later.  When I got home, down on the kitchen floor I went and tried again.  It took me a several days until finally I could do three.   You may be laughing but if you have not done any for 30 years you try it and then see how funny you think it is.   Each day it became easier to do more push ups and more rapidly. It was not long before I added it to my normal daily workout routine and can now easily do 2 sets of 12 fully extended from the floor and do them quickly.   Which doing quickly is important in the proper technique according to trainers.   Anyway I am getting ready to adding another set and go for 14.   Another benefit of doing push ups is you do not need any equipment of any kind.  A solid hard floor is all that is needed so you can do those at home at your convenience..
Another regular exercise for me is the horizontal pull up.  Imagine doing a pull up from a horizontal bar about 3 1/2 feet from the the floor. With your body horizontal to the floor, gripping the bar and lowering yourself in a rigid, straight position you then repeat  raising and lowering  your chest to the bar while maintaining your rigid position.  This is an excellent exercise for your posture, strengthening  back and shoulder muscles.


Leg lifts are another exercise I do daily.  I do them from a dip/leg raise machine.  I do this for toning stomach and leg muscles.  If you are one of us who have lost a lot of weight you know that toning your muscles is something to be dealt with from necessity and not from wanting to develop muscles.

In closing I want to repeat I would not recommend any of these exercises  for those heart patients who are just beginning exercising.  I would stay with the basics and wait until I felt better about my heart health and strength before attempting any of these.  My first exercise efforts involved walking. Outdoors, on a treadmill, on indoor track while carrying an 8 pound ball elevated overhead with one hand. From those basics I progressed to a regular workout exercise routine.  You will know when you are recovered and strong enough to attempt more than walking.  As a heart patient remember when exercising always stay within doctors orders and your abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT