Friday, August 3, 2012

Basalmic Vinegar and Salads #125

Many readers are inquiring about feeling "lightheaded and or dizzy after a heart" attack.  I assume they are new readers, and  recent heart patients.   I need to make clear I am not a physician, nor a medical professional.  I do have two family members who are unofficial medical experts.  Unfortunately for us,  I and their children are their only patients.  But that is another story.  Anyway, assuming you are in the early stages of heart attack recovery, and based on my experiences those dizzy feelings normally occurred after stooping or bending,  and were the result of low blood pressure.   I have had a problem with that for over two years, which my cardiologist has treated by changing frequency or reducing dosage of my heart and blood pressure medications.  There are two or three earlier postings that go into more details about low blood pressure.  

Some of you may wonder why I so often continue to refer to myself as a heart attack survivor, and or recovering heart patient, or heart surgery patient.   There are many who read this who are new, or who select only specific topics and do not follow our entire progress.  I want to be sure I do not present myself as a medical professional, new  readers should realize I speak from my experiences.

We eat salads almost daily and  use a lot of balsamic vinaigrette which has led me  to look into the health aspects of balsamic vinegar.   I was quite surprised by some of the general information I found.  Balsamic vinegar originated in Italy 900 years ago.  It is not made from wine as commonly thought, but from a specific type of white grape.  The vinegar is made from the cooked reduction product of those grapes and aged in oak barrels for a long period of time.  There are three types of balsamic vinegar.  Authentic traditional grade which is aged for a minimum of 12 years.  Commercial grade which is used in cooking and food products.  And finally condimento grade which is a mix of the other two and may have other products blended in.   The authentic traditional grade can be aged for 25 years or more and range in price from $50.00-$500.00 for a small bottle.   The weight loss benefits are questionable, but can be attributed being a replacement for high calorie salad dressings.  It is combined with olive oil to make balsamic vinaigrette and the health benefits of olive oil are well known.   On its own, balsamic vinegar is high in cardiovascular healthy antioxidants, low in saturated fats, low in sodium, and contains no cholesterol.  The combination of balsamic vinegar and olive oil make for a healthy salad dressing.

I also enjoy olives in my salads, green olives.  I found that most olives start out green on the tree.  Some remain green as they ripen and other varieties turn black as they ripen. Olives are very healthful with the many different varieties containing various antioxidants, anti-inflammatory nutrients.  They contain monounsaturated fats and studies have shown them to lower cholesterol.   You know that I recognize the great health benefits of the Mediterranean diet.  I try to follow some of that diet and am encouraged that you will find olives and olive oil center stage of the Mediterranean diet.

A typical salad I eat on a regular basis will contain baby spinach, tomatoes, olives, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I don't know a  "better for your cholesterol or heart healthy food" than any of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT