Monday, May 28, 2012

Walking For A Healthy Heart #106

"Walking, like other exercise, can help achieve important health benefits."  So says an article from the Mayo Clinic.  I see a lot of interest from readers concerning healthy foods and diet related to their heart health.  However I do not get many inquiries about exercise, what kind, or just general exercise questions for cardiovascular patients.

Most of you know I give a lot of credit to walking as being a key factor in my total recovery.  Especially in the early stages of overcoming heart surgery.   Walking contributes to lowering your LDL and increasing HDL cholesterol.  It lowers blood pressure and helps reduce and maintain a healthy weight.  Walking will help you maintain lean muscle and reduce body fat.  Walking, and other regular exercise can slow the aging process.  I walk a minimum of 30 minutes each day on a treadmill at a brisk pace.  When possible, I will walk around our neighborhood.

Easily, walking is a basic beginning, must do form of exercise for most recovering heart patients.  Doctors approval of course.  Walking and regular exercise can reduce the risk of diabetes.  I can state that I am an example of that.  See #74 Eat Healthy And Exercise.   Walking at a brisk pace, and it being an aerobic exercise, will increase your heart rate and help your heart and lungs become more efficient. It can improve your blood circulation in your arms and legs.  Improves the size and efficiency of the small vessels that supply blood for cellular respiration.  I have read several articles concerning walking as an exercise and the associated health benefits.   Almost each article mentions, for those getting older, exercise and walking reduces depression, risk of dementia and overall is good for your mental health.   You know, after surgery and getting home for the next few months, I went through that.  I would feel depressed. That I had ruined my health, and how would I become active and healthy again?   So, yes, I believe walking and exercise make you feel good about yourself.  I know I do.  I feel proud to walk into my fitness center among all of those young and fit folks and to be actively part of it.   According to A.A.R.P. of people in the 65-74 year age group only 25% report that they exercise on a regular basis.

The other morning I saw a guy at my fitness center who very much reminded me of myself a couple of months after surgery.   Now I do not know anything about this guy, but actions speak a lot of words.  He was new to exercise.  He was about the same age as me.  He got on a treadmill  and walked at a snails pace, and believe me you could tell he was giving it everything he had.   But there he was in the middle of at least 30-40 younger athletic folks.  The others going flat-out on their treadmills and there he was undeterred. At a turtles pace.  I am going to sort of watch him and at some point talk to him and find out more.  He is definitely working to improve his health.  He could be one of us.  According to an article by Len Kravitz, Ph.D. as the U.S. population of people over 65 years of age has grown, there are 3 basic categories of persons over 65 in the U.S.   1. Old-Old, frail who are over 75.  2. Young-Old, active persons 65-75.   3. Athletic-Old, those who  maintain a high level of fitness.   There is absolutely no reason that we heart patients can not be in category 3.

I am not sure I agree with or understand the 3 categories Dr. Kravitz has described.  However, I am sure being a heart attack survivor you need to know that you, not your circumstances, will control being fit, active, and healthy as you grow older.

Sorry for not getting around to discussing healthy snacks for heart patients.  We will try to do that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT