Friday, June 1, 2012

General Health Information #107

Many times I wonder if I should be making the effort to research some of the details of what I consider to be important to our health.   Example? What are carbohydrates,  which we researched in an earlier posting?  I just think it is important to know what we are talking about, and how it affects your health.  We already knew carbohydrates were starchy and sugary. But I did not know what they were and how they affected me.   That is why I break down some of these terms that relate to our health. To understand more about them, and make our own personal decisions in what we consume and how and what we do to maintain good cardiovascular health.  

From post #103 you know I eat avocados because I consider them to be healthy.   They are a fruit, which I did not know. That led me to what is the difference in a fruit and a vegetable?  It is not that important and will not make any difference in do I eat it or do I not eat it.  I just want to know.   Well I am not sure there is any exact answer other than if it contains a seed or seeds it is a fruit.   If it does not, it is what we consider a vegetable.  I researched several sources and here is what I found.  A vegetable is the edible part of a plant.  Stem, root, leaf, flower, bulb, tuber.  "Vegetable" is a grocery industry term, not a botanist term to describe or mean a plant.  A vegetable is a plant product cultivated for an edible part.  Vegetables are "savory plant parts" prepared or cooked with other dishes.   A fruit is the ripened ovary of a flowery plant.  The seeds of the plant are always found inside of the fruit.  Fruit plant products have a high sugar content or taste.  Fruits have seeds, vegetables do not.  There, that is it. Does it mean something to us about our heart health?  Of course not you say.   Hold on just a second.  It could mean something to me.   I have thought for some time that I am eating too much fruit and that has led to my high sugar levels and being borderline diabetic.  Read Eat Healthy And Exercise #74 January 2012.   It is difficult to say I was wrong, but I really think I should lean more to vegetables and less to fruits in my circumstances. I relied on bananas and oranges as replacement snacks, and ingredients in my salads especially for weight loss purposes.  I also still consider them to be healthy foods.  The fact is I eat a lot of fruit and should reduce that, and begin eating more vegetables.

I have not had much to mention about exercises in a while.  Reason being nothing has changed for me in my workout routine.  I am sure you get tired of hearing it is going great, or how much I enjoy it. I am back to a more strict workout schedule.  I do feel better after exercising.  I do feel good about myself for exercising, and if you are not yet exercising you may be missing out on a great healthier heart opportunity.  I have varied my times of going to my workout a lot.  From early morning to late evening.  Workouts from 8:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. as an example.  Why?  Because as you know I have continued to get tired too easily, need to take short 10 minute naps or just relax and rest for a while.   I wanted to be sure working out early was not the culprit.  And it is not.  I don't know if my change in medication has effected me.  I definitely need more sleep. I have no difficulty in going to sleep and when I wake up I tend to stay in bed for another 10-15 minutes before getting up.  Now for most of my adult life and until very recently I would wake up early and when I woke up I felt rested, not drowsy or still sleepy.  I would immediately get out of bed, shower, shave, be alert and ready regardless of the hour.   Not now.  I have become a want to stay in bed person and be drowsy for the first 30 minutes or so after waking up.   I think medication has something to do with this change in sleep habits, and my tiring easily.  Plus I think this all is connected with low blood pressure.  Strange isn't it.  A heart patient not complaining about or struggling with high blood pressure.  If a cardiologist is out there reading this, I would appreciate your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT