Friday, May 4, 2012

Food And Exercise #99

Why is it still so difficult to maintain your weight and resist the urges to go back to the unhealthy foods you use to eat?   This is not the right attitude, but I hope others are having the same struggles dealing with either weight loss or maintaining their weight as I am.  Here I am, over 3  years since that fateful day I committed  myself to lose weight, change my eating habits, and be a new person.  Notice I left out become healthy.  That is because on that day I considered myself to be healthy even though I was seriously overweight and unknown to me in 6 weeks I would have a heart attack.  I have gone months and months with no desire for the foods I use to eat, but I have noticed my appetite urges are stronger, more often, and more difficult to resist.   And here is the flip side to that.  I am losing weight.  About 5 pounds in the last 4 or 5 weeks.  I attribute it to exercise, Cindy tells me I don't eat enough.

I have to draw myself a mental picture of me.  Before and after.  Do I want to be that before guy again?   I really have to focus on that sometimes to tell myself, no it will not be okay to stray off course just this once.  It is not looking trim and fit that motivates me.  It is the fact that I do not want to be heart unhealthy again and risk the consequences.

Yesterday was one of those good days.  Our grandchildren were over for dinner and Cindy made a great meal for them.  Especially our granddaughter, it was her favorite.  The meal also was a use to be favorite of mine, and it was worth resisting the appetite urges just to have grandchildren over to have dinner with us.

My exercising continues on a daily regular basis, however today I have not been and am not sure if I am going.   I have not completely regained my strength since being sick last week.  I plan on going later today for about 40 minutes on the treadmill and that will be all I will do.   I just do not have the energy for all the other exercises I would normally do.  I think there is an important message in there somewhere, and I am honestly not sure what it is.  To think I am in as good of physical health and condition as I consider myself, should it take this long of feeling so weak after having a flu like virus?  Is it in part due to my cardiovascular system is limited in stamina? Being older?  Probably the correct answer is a combination of all those things.

I do want to say, as much of a chore exercising can at times be, I look forward to it and feel a lot of pride about myself for becoming healthy and fit through exercise.   I have a brother-in-law who is 78 years old and always has very quietly  exercised, been physically active, and eaten healthy through out all the years I have known him.  He still works three days a week and certainly looks much younger than his age.   He is one of those guys who is always playing golf, fishing, hunting, traveling. Whatever it may be through maintaining his health and fitness, he continues to live a healthy and active lifestyle which is what most of us heart patients are striving for.

More emphasis on healthy foods next time. Also some of my personal top choices as the most healthy foods I eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT