Sunday, December 4, 2011

Workout Changes #55

I have made one change to my exercise program, well actually more than that, but first I changed using the chin up or pull up assist strength machine.  I had used it only a few times, and felt it would help my upper body strength.  My problem was the last time I used it my chest area strained.  I could feel the pressure it put on the chest bone.  I immediately stopped, got down from the machine, and have not been back on it, nor will I use it again.  I tell you this so if you are using one or considering it be aware of what I encountered.

The rest of my exercise workout routine remains intact.  I still feel good after each workout and my blood pressure indicates I benefit well form the exercise.  I have changed a portion of working out.  And that is the time of day I go.  I have always been a creature of habit, and resist even the smallest of changes.  My two medical procrastinators have long erroneously accused me of being consumed by obsessive and compulsive habits.  I have done my workout early morning hours.  It work very well with my schedule (that's a family joke), fitness center is less crowded, and I had become accustomed to my fellow workout folks...I guess they are all compulsive behavior people too.  Well anyway, as well as I liked starting my day working out, and I really enjoy the early hours, I seemed to be getting a little draggy and tired later on in the day. So I decided I would workout later in the day and see what effect that would have on getting tired.   As you know, if you have been following this blog, my main health concern is my getting tired too easily.  I want to see if this change will improve that.   Maybe the getting tired is just part of getting a little older.   I now have gone in to workout mid morning, late afternoon, and late evening, maybe 8:00 or 9:00 p.m.   I really think I best liked going in around 4:00 or 5:00 p.m.   New people, saw a couple of friends I hadn't seen in quite a while.  It was somewhat crowded and had to wait on some machines to be available.  Patience is an attribute that I have none of.  My patience level (excluding grandchildren) is just a little bit less than zero. Other than the waiting and being somewhat crowded, I probably will split working out between the mid morning and late afternoon before before deciding if I want to change workout times.

I can tell that exercising is making a noticeable change in my strength.  As an example, I have told you I like to hunt and I can tell a big difference in not getting tired from the walking with extra heavy cold weather clothing, heavy boots, hunting rifle, backpack and all.  Walking up hill, down hill, I pace myself and do not get out of breath or start breathing heavily from the extra load I am carrying.  I take a lot of pride in this as insignificant as it may seem to you.  There is one particular hill that prior to having a heart attack, when I walked up it I was doing some serious huffing and puffing when I got to the crest, and would happily swing that backpack off and let it drop to the ground.  So there are many small and large benefits exercising and weight loss contribute to in improving your lifestyle.  You can take care of yourself or become a big clump of inactivity.

Very briefly we will begin to learn more about saturated animal fats and are they healthy, or unhealthy?  Saturated fat consist of triglycerides containing only saturated fatty acids.  Some foods that contain high amounts of saturated fats are cream, cheese, butter, lard, fatty meats, coconut oil, and chocolate.

If you google a website called natural health information centre.com, it  has some pro- eat meat to be healthy propaganda supporting saturated fat being healthy for you.  It starts off by stating red meat has been part of the human diet since mankind was first put on earth.  That immediately lost all credibility in their argument as far as I am concerned.   You can go to that site and decide for yourself, but I don't want to waste anymore of our time on it.  I don't believe there is anyway you can think eating red meat is good for your heart health.  I am pretty sure I am a living example of how eating too much red meat over a lifetime can pretty well almost kill you.  I will gladly become the poster boy for "look what eating unhealthy foods almost did to him".  So we will continue on our goal to improve our health and lifestyle by practicing what we feel is good for our heart and overall health, when it comes to food and exercise.

Cindy made the best pecan pie and sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving.  I had been looking forward to that and Michelle's coconut cake all year.  I had one large desert plate, split between pecan pie and coconut cake.  I have been eating soups and oatmeal since Thanksgiving.

Next time we will talk about healthy tomatoes and some other great foods.
Have you had your oatmeal today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT