Monday, December 12, 2011

Make Exercise a Habit #58

Sometimes I try to think of a way to put into written words the message that this blog must keep recycling itself to be meaningful about heart attack and surgery recovery.  It, the recovery, is an on going lifetime commitment if you are going to be successful.  There is only one end to it that I can see and and I don't believe any of us want to discuss that....For most, not all, but most, our life should go on in much better health than before in many ways.  If you work on improving your health,  you should be able to do things that before may have been too strenuous, or unknown to you at that time, were very bad for you.    I certainly have a much better appreciation of my family and tend to take one day and try to enjoy it as much as I can.   I use to live for tomorrow, not be satisfied with where I was, but more concerned about where I wanted to be.   I don't think that way anymore.   So to me, your mental approach to your lifestyle and health, is an important part of your heart health.  Today Cindy is out of town.  I woke up this morning, took my time, enjoyed coffee, oatmeal, and the newspaper.  I was very much not wanting to go workout.  Felt like I should take a Sunday off, no exercise, or fitness center today.  Then after finishing breakfast, that nagging little voice kept telling me how I would later regret not working out.  Well, off I went, had a great work out and felt great afterwards. Exercise and workouts have become a normal activity in my new lifestyle.

For those who are just beginning recovery from heart problems, the first couple of weeks home from the hospital are a real adjustment and probably the start of a new way of life for you.  Depending on your heart condition of course, but speaking for most of us coming home from the hospital, it was a day to day event of a new beginning. Having family help was critical to me.  My children were all involved to some extent in seeing that those, my first few weeks home, were devoted to recovery and nothing else.  Of course, my wife put aside her normal daily life and put me first.  She was there each moment to see I made daily progress and followed doctors orders. There were prescriptions, doctor office visits, medication to take and much more that you can do on your own. You are going to need family support, encouragement, and help. Diet, and exercise will come later. The first week or two is just about healing, and getting enough strength to do the basic daily activities on your own.  Shower, shave, sitting at the table at meal time, walking from room to room.   Don't laugh, it will be a real challenge at first.  It is important, in my opinion, that you do all you can on your own, within the limits given you by your cardiologist.  Don't settle for staying in bed and relying completely on someone else.  As soon as possible, you should try to walk more. For me going outside and being in the sunlight, even though it was cool fall weather, made me feel better.  And I walked very short distances each day.  You'll get the idea of what you can and can not do.  If you are new to this blog go back and read the first 10 posts, they will give you a good picture of life after a heart attack and beginning a new lifestyle.

I just heard on the TV Food channel that sweet potatoes and yams are the same thing.  I didn't know that,  did you?  A yam is canned processed sweet potatoes.   I thought yams were a another vegetable, different from the sweet potato.  However, what I have researched is true yams are rarely found in the U.S.  Most canned yams sold here are actually processed sweet potatoes.  Sweet potatoes with orange, moist flesh are marketed as jewel yams.  Each is a healthy food choice.  From what I have read, heard, and seen on the Food channel, there is some difference in declaring the yam and sweet potato as being the same.  I find that all sources are in agreement in that sweet potatoes are a heart healthy food.   If you have never eaten one try it pureed or mashed well. Heat in the micro-wave, add a little honey, and chopped pecans on top.

We are getting close to Christmas.  Go back and read post #38 about our holiday breakfast tradition.

p.s.
my editor, proof reader, and chief medical advisor took a weekend off and post #57 was sloppier than most.....sorry...I'll try to do better, but no promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT