Friday, December 16, 2011

Holiday Treats or Exercise? #59

This is the holiday time of year when it is difficult to maintain your weight and to eat as healthy as possible.  I don't normally have many cravings or problems staying within my eating habits.  But for the last 3 weeks I have had a sweet tooth and wanted to eat chocolate and sweet treats.  There is so much candy, chocolate, and baked treats this time of the year.  I have been able to stay on course but it can be difficult.  I told you about Thanksgiving and having the pie and cake, which I feel is okay.   I had a half of a Milky Way candy bar which really made me feel guilty, but I justified it because of not straying otherwise from my daily diet.   What I didn't do was eat the dark chocolate variety which was a mistake.   I still got all the calories but not the health benefits.

What are some of the health benefits of eating dark chocolate?   A recent study by the University of Cologne in Germany found dark chocolate contains potent antioxidants and helps lower blood pressure in older patients.  Dark chocolate contains flavoniods which restrict cholesterol from gathering in blood vessels causing blockage or clots.
I was surprised to find that dark chocolate contains 8 times as many antioxidants as strawberries.   You know I think strawberries and oatmeal have been some of the healthiest foods I eat.  The down side of eating dark chocolate, calories.  A 3.5 ounce bar contains 400 calories.  That is not much chocolate versus the amount of hard work you will spend working out to shed 400 calories.  To clarify,  although I have written a lot about craving chocolate and sweets, I do not eat or advocate dark or milk chocolate as part of my regular diet.  Milk chocolate should be avoided as it does not contain a high proportion of the cocoa bean and the associated health benefits.  Dark chocolate, unlike milk chocolate, contains 50%-70% cocoa and that flavoniods are abundant in the bean.  That is the basic reason dark chocolate is considered to have heart health benefits.  Again, it must be eaten in small amounts, due to the fat and calorie content.

From time to time you are entitled to treat yourself for staying healthy and eating correctly.   That is when I may have pie, cake, chocolate or whatever.  And in a small reasonable portion.

 I have told Cindy that I do not have the will power, which she thinks I have, to resist good foods.   I over come those food cravings by being dedicated and motivated to stay healthy for her and my family.   Unfortunately, that is one of the issues you will have to deal with in your recovery process.  And it is not a short term issue but part of being dedicated to a new healthy lifestyle.   You will know you are making progress when you walk in your fitness center among all of those much younger, healthier, physically fit folks and not feel out of place.   You feel like you are one of them, just a little bit older, well maybe 30 or 40 years older, which makes it that much the better.  So think about that the next time you want that food that you know you should not eat, considering your heart health.  If you are a heart patient and are not exercising, you are making a mistake, unless your doctor or cardiologist has told you not too.  Actually your cardiologist needs or must approve of you exercising before you start.  How long, how much exertion, how often,  should all be discussed before you start.  Then it would be best to make a small investment and get a trainer for just one or two sessions, to get you a basic routine to build from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT