Sunday, September 25, 2011

Staying Active and Two Anniversaries Tonight #42

Some readers and followers of this blog are not recovering heart patients.  Many, or maybe I should say some I know of,  are people who for various reasons are at the age where they are just beginning retirement or for whatever reasons are no longer working, and have free time.  Many of the things we discuss concerning recovery would also apply to avoiding heart problems.  Speaking for myself, you know if I had eaten healthy, exercised on a regular basis and gotten my weight under control, I surely would have reduced the likelihood of a heart attack.  There are several guys at my fitness center who I know that are recent retirees, and working out is now a regular part of their daily routine.   I'm thinking exercise becomes part of a daily routine and fills out some of their free time.  It is one way to stay active and maintain health fitness.   When I was working, not only did I have a strict self imposed  schedule I followed, I enjoyed working and looked forward to it daily.  Being around and interacting with people. Your responsibilities, it all gives you something away from your normal family life, meaning work and those surroundings become as much a part of your life from 8 till 5 daily as family is.  And when that goes away, you have a large void to fill in several ways.  The part that can effect your health is staying active. When I first stopped working daily, I stayed active, not by exercising and working out, but by doing things around the house, yard duty summer and winter, and always trying to have a project going on.   I put in a lot of effort staying away from the TV, computer, couch, and kitchen table from 8 till 5.   But it didn't save me from the heart attack.  A lifetime of unhealthy eating, and lack of regular exercise were my undoing.  So there is a lot we have discussed since the beginning of this blog that would be very helpful to some people out there in how to reduce the factors that can cause heart attacks.

I'm not writing as often right now because of some ongoing computer problems I am having.  At this moment I am sitting at Cindy's desk using hers.  Neither of us enjoy sharing our computers with the other.  For the next several days if any little setting, or pop up, or glitch comes about on hers, it will be my fault.  And the thing is what little she knows about computers makes her an I.T. expert.   Not at all like her doctoring, and pharmaceutical expertise, she knows what she is doing there. But computers, well let's just say take away facebook, email, google, and photoshop and it is a done deal.   Can't let her see this or she will revoke my using her system privileges.

Today is our 44th wedding anniversary.  And two years ago today I had heart surgery.  We will be going to Houston's restaurant tonight.  It has been one of our favorite places to go for dinner, especially to celebrate special occasions. For at least 25 years we have been going there for birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, you name it, we have celebrated it there.  One of my favorite memories of there is several years ago on Christmas Eve, when our children had first reached age to go their own ways. I think I had worked that day and rather than us coming home late to an empty house on Christmas Eve, we went to Houston's for dinner.  I think maybe one or two of our children met us there.  Of course, in the past we went to Houston's for the prime rib, NY strip, filet mignon.  None of that will be on our menu tonight, we will have a great salad and plain bake potato. 

That is enough of thinking about the old days, we've gotta get healthy and get on down the road for more anniversaries and birthdays to come.......
Good health and exercise next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT