Sunday, September 4, 2011

Fooducate App, Exercises, Churrasco #37

There is a new app out for your smart phones. Cindy has a droid and she found an app that she has used and I think is great.  If you have not heard about it the name of the app is Fooducate.  It allows you to take your smart phone and scan the bar code on food products and it will then provide you with information to let you decide if this product is or is not a healthy food item for you.  Depending on the food item you will get information on that specific product and brand.  So when grocery shopping you take your phone and scan the package and you will get calories, yes or no 100% grain, contains any undesirable additives, sugar contents.  It will apply a health rating based on a system of D being low, through A being high.  If you're not using it, you might want to check it out, if it is available to you.

Worked out this morning and I am beginning to feel really good after doing some of those exercises.  The pull ups I do are my favorite.  Meaning I feel strong after doing those and it really works well on my posture and helps my lower back.  A guy who is a member of the Memphis Grizzlies radio broadcast team does the same exercise using the equipment next to mine.  He is an former Memphis State basketball player and is 6' 9".  I guess guys that tall, when they begin to get older and aren't as active, are also subject to back and posture problems.  Anyway, I do enjoy doing that particular exercise and doing abdominal crunches on the AB-X.  I have not used the elliptical in a while.  I just could not get use to the elliptical and decided I would rather take the time spent on the elliptical and add it to my treadmill.  I think I may add some more weight lift exercises.  I really like using the weights and think they are good for improving your circulation.

What I should do is find a book on different free weight exercises and techniques.  When weight lifting, you can really be specific to certain muscles, depending on the exercise.  Another advantage to lifting weights is you can do a lot of exercises that do not require the use of strength training machines.  Sometimes when the center is busy, some of the equipment you want to use may not be available.   Knowing more about weight lifting exercises could free me from depending on certain equipment.

My daughter Ann and her husband just returned from Brazil.  He was down there for a couple of weeks on business.  Ann went down for vacation time.  She is a healthy eater, enjoys food, travel, and dining.  She thought the fruit in Brazil was varied, fresh, and very good as was the seafood. I don't think she cares much for the Churrascaria style restaurants.  Beef, chicken, sausage, and pork is popular in Brazil cooked in the churrasco style which is much the same as roasted or barbecued.  I'm not sure she likes how it is served, brought to the table on skewers and sliced off.  Anyway, they enjoyed  the Brazilian food, people, and scenery. They said the beaches and ocean were great and the people were very friendly. There is a Brazilian churrascaria style restaurant in Memphis which also has a huge varied salad bar, and it is delicious. Full of fruits, and vegetables for those more apt to lean  to eating salads than the meats.  Ann is much like Cindy, thinking when meat is brought, sliced and served that style at your table it is not appetising. I have eaten once at the restaurant in Memphis and the salad bar was all I needed to eat.  There was so much selection in vegetables, salad fixings, fruit and such, eating meat was not necessary.

I think I'll put on my sunglasses, lean back, listen to "Girl from Ipanema," and dream of being on a beach in Brazil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT