Thursday, September 15, 2011

Circulation Exercise, Nutritution News, MyPlate #39

The new USDA dietary guidelines have been released by the federal government.  The once well known and accepted food pyramid has been replaced with the MyPlate symbol.  Yes, the federal government has decided the food pyramid wasn't that healthy for us.  The new symbol represents a dinner plate divided into four sections.  Fruits, grains, vegetables, and protein.   There is also a side dish of dairy. These are the new federal nutrition policies.  As example, the federal government "will dictate what food is made available to school children through the National School Lunch  Program."   This also will go further including programs as Women, Infants, and Child and Adult Federal Food Care Programs.   Obviously, there is much disagreement among nutritionist concerning what has now been determined to be unhealthy for you, or what was considered unhealthy 3 months ago is now healthy to eat.  There is an excellent article in Experience Life magazine, September issue, or on line at experiencelife.com. One of my concerns with this is a committee of well renowned nutritionist was formed to make these determinations.  The problem I have is, they were selected to support the vocal views of a select few in the administration.   My conclusion is that I will continue to research as much as possible and eat what I consider to be good heart health foods, regardless of federal guidelines.  You know, if I were a lot younger, I believe I would pursue an education and career in nutrition and good health as it relates to heart patients and exercise.   If you have had heart disease, or concerned about your cardiovascular health, you really should begin reading more about it to form your own ideas about maintaining your health.

For those of you beginning to exercise, or looking for something good for your cardiovascular system, here is something I did when I first started rehabbing.  In addition to my treadmill and other workout routine, I walked one mile holding a 5 pound exercise ball in one hand with my arm fully extended over my head.  I would shift it between left and right as needed.  It is important to keep your arm held high over your head holding the ball.  The other arm can obviously be relaxed and rested at your side or as you wish.  This was done at an early stage in beginning my recovery and with apporval of my cardiologist.  It strengthens and exercises your circulation.  If you're concerned about how you will look walking around holding a ball over your head, don't be.  I was the only person doing it at my fitness center. After around 3 weeks there were at least a dozen more who picked up on the same routine.  When I felt stronger I moved up to a 8 pound ball.  Well it could have been 10 pound, I'm not sure now.  That doesn't sound like much weight, but when you're rehabbing from heart problems it feels like a lot more.  Depending on your situation you probably should refer to your cardiologist for approval before you begin this routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT