Monday, July 11, 2011

You Can Have My Prime Rib #24

Guess what?  You remember me telling you about the Levaquin. The prescribing doctor, one I didn't see very often, and the doctor didn't change the Levaquin prescription as agreed during hours.   How Cindy went through a commotion to get the after hours on call doctor to call in a change.  Well ,we went to Walgreens last night to pick up a prescription for Cindy and the pharmacist had a medication for me on "alert hold drug conflict."  Seems my Levaquin prescribing doctor's office did call in an alternative.  We are not sure when it was called in, or which doctor.  Could have been the on call doctor or the doctor who saw me in the office.  The drug called in was Clarithromycin which is a major conflict with Zocor, which I take for cholesterol.  I had given the doctor's office a current list of medications and dosage I take that day before they wrote the prescription.  At least the doctor on call would not prescribe medication for me until I provided him with that information.  He then gave me a medication for the infection.   Walgreens was pretty much on top of this.  Their computer software flagged the Clarithromycin when it cross referenced I was taking Zocor, and would not authorize it's release to me.  I'm not going back to that doctor.

I have been trying to decide if I have been eating too many peanuts.  The more I read about eating them, the more convinced I am about peanut's nutritional and health values.  They are an excellent source of monounsaturated fats.  According to The World's Healthiest Foods, peanuts contain the same healthy fats as found in olive oil.  Various studies have shown "eating peanuts can reduce the risk of cardio disease by 21%."  I should mention articles I have found,indicate eating roasted in the shell peanuts, with skin.  No mention of raw, boiled, or otherwise.  I eat roasted unsalted in shell.  They are rated with strawberries and blackberries in antioxidant content and total health value.  The downside is they are high in calorie content.   I don't know about you, but once I start eating a handful of peanuts, I've gone through half a bag and want more.   I think eating a couple of handfuls 3 or 4 times a week is very beneficial in helping to control your cholesterol.   You're wondering why am I concerned about eating too many peanuts?   Well, I had gotten to where I was eating them daily and probably 5 or 6 handfuls, so I stopped eating them completely.  But the more I read about their health benefits, it was clear they would be good for my cholesterol control.  

I have told you that my cholesterol has remained low and HDL is improving.  I am now only needing to go to my cardiologist on 6 month intervals, which to me is very encouraging.  I am soon to stop taking Plavix, a blood thinner, and hopefully if my health continues to improve at some point my cardiologist may be able to reduce other medications.  That is all great, but you know one thing I think about and  use it as motivation to stay on course? What if I gain all of that weight back?  What if I go back to eating all of that bad for you, good to eat, stuff?  How much longer can I work out regularly?  Answer...I think of how disappointed I would be of myself.  I still consider food  being like the most desirable drug is to an addict.  I have no real will power.  There is no going back just once for that big slab of prime rib.  That would be the end of my healthy eating.  I think as long as I can admit, to myself,  I couldn't control going back to the old ways just once in a while  I'll be okay.
Plus, I just bought a really nice suit that fits well and looks pretty good on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT