Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pig And Waffle At A Wedding #25

Continuing to eat healthy and avoiding reverting back to the old eating habits were the closing themes of the last post.  I wanted to discuss those a little further.  I guess committing yourself to a change of healthy life style is a way to avoid the pitfalls of going on a diet, losing a lot of weight, and then fighting the battle to keep it off.  What normally would happen to me is, now remember many posts ago I pointed out the difference between dieting to lose weight, and eating healthy to lose weight.  What would happen to me is after losing the weight, I would continue eating the same foods as before, except in lesser portions, and maybe not as often. Eventually, slowly but surely, I would end up back where I started.  Same old eating habits and putting weight back on.  You know how I know I would do that?  Because I have already done that a few times over the years. Most of you have too.  Getting older, concerns of heart health and living out an active life lead me to changing for the better.  The heart attack 6 weeks into the change was not part of my plan.  Continuing to eat healthy will always be part of your recovery and remaining heart healthy.  I know, in my case, eating oatmeal and fruits have been important in my getting my cholesterol to the levels of a healthy young man.

A few weeks back my wife and I went out of town to attend a family wedding.  We were around friends and family we had not seen often since I had changed to healthier habits.   The reception was centered around the favorite homeland foods of the bride and groom. The bride being from another country, and the groom's homeland being Arkansas Razorback.  The reception was out of doors and there were several separate serving areas. Each having different foods to offer.  Foods such as Waffle House favorites,  burritos, tacos, a whole grilled pig, and bar-b-que. Various chicken and beef dishes of the bride's homeland were popular.   Apparently, seafood was not a favorite of the couple. I looked high and low for fish or shrimp and did not find anything to eat that lived in the ocean.  Oh yes, you're wondering about why the Waffle House food?  The groom had just graduated from college and had developed a 4 year addiction to waffles while away at school.  So Waffle House was one of the caterers.   I found a serving table full of fruit at the waffle tent so I had plenty to eat.  We sat with a large table of family and I got the feeling everyone was waiting to see if my eating fruit was for real or for show.  You know what I mean?  They were like, what's up with the fruit thing, when is he going in for the taco waffle roasted pig combo sandwich, with chocolate cake on the side?  They all remembered me from the before heart attack days. 

The following day we were still with family and visited the Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock.   It was really interesting and a lot of fun to do.  I guess family wanted to test me again, so we all went to a Sunday brunch before the Library tour. It was sort of like the reception, a lot of most anything you would want to eat.  This time I found the seafood, so I had that along with fruit.  That really freaked them out.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT