Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Haagen-Dazs, and Baby Ruth #26

This week is the first after the July 4th holiday.  The fitness center has really been busy since the 4th.   I guess people coming back from vacation week, celebrating the 4th, cookouts, eating out, everyone is looking to get back into their workout routines and work off some of those extra calories.  I really enjoy doing the pull ups I was telling you about.  Not that they are easy, it's just that I can already feel a positive difference they are having on my back and posture.  Sometimes in the mornings it was difficult for me to stand completely erect.  My lower back seemed not to want to co-operate until I was up and walking for a few minutes.  Then it would "loosen up" and standing erect was no problem.  Now that problem is not near as severe and I feel certain the new exercises have helped.   I am also doing an exercise on a floor stand which I am not sure of the name.  It is at an angle to the floor.  Comes up to your waist line.  Is padded so you bend over towards the floor with your arms folded and held against your chest.  You bend over facing the floor and return slowly to the start position. This also is designed to exercise your lower back and waist line muscles.

Cindy has begun exercising again. She is wanting to get back into a regular workout routine.  We do a lot of things together.  Workouts are not one of them......  I think if she can put together a couple of weeks of regular workout times she can get back in a regular routine.

We were talking one night after dinner and Cindy ask something about if I missed eating steak, or ribs at the Rendezvous.  It is almost 2 years since I eliminated most of the red meat I was eating.  Not once have I wanted a steak or a rib. Or anything like that and I told her.   What I have craved are some things I did not eat very often.  Candy bars and ice cream. I told her I have been wanting butter pecan ice cream, and about any kind of candy bars made.   I promise you, I'll bet I use to not eat 6 candy bars a year.  And ice cream only at a grandchild's birthday party.   Well, a couple of nights later, after dinner, Cindy comes in with a surprise for me.  A pint carton of  Haagen-Dazs butter pecan ice cream.   Remember what I told you about don't offend your wife, there are unpleasant consequences.  Well, I used that as an excuse to eat some of the ice cream straight from the carton.  And I dared not to look at the side of the carton too see how many calories, sugar, or fat content. Why torture myself.  I ate two spoonfuls and put the remainder in the freezer for another day.   It was absolutely delicious.  I had not had any ice cream in over 2 years.  I told you in the last post, my will power over food is not strong,  and I knew that Haagen-Dazs was waiting on me in the freezer.  Then I thought about my heart surgeon with his cowboy boots on and what he would say about butter pecan ice cream and coronary arteries. A couple of nights later I quietly took the Haagen-Dazs out of the freezer and sent it down the disposal.  I knew if I didn't, I would have ended up eating more.

I am kind of hoping tonight, after dinner, Cindy shows up with a super-sized Baby Ruth candy bar.  Can't offend my wife you know.

Next Day;
Well, no Baby Ruth candy bar after dinner last night.  Cindy did tell me how proud she was of my will power to resist eating ice cream, candy bars and of my dedication to eating healthy only.   You know, I could have sworn as she was telling me how proud she was of my will power, that I saw a few tiny little specks of chocolate and peanuts on her face around her lips and mouth.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT