Saturday, July 30, 2011

Blood Pressure Control #28

I have been working out daily as usual.  Doing my somewhat new routine.  What was a few weeks back new exercises have now become a daily routine.  Still around 1 hour 15 minutes total workout time.  I may add a couple more strength machine exercises I had stopped doing when my trainer told me they were building my shoulder muscles and could effect my posture.   Cindy and I have began to occasionally walk late in the evening before dark.   There is a city park a short drive from our home.  It has a .6 mile paved trail around a lake that we enjoy walking.  A couple of times around the lake, after the heat of the day is beginning to cool off,  is a nice way to exercise.  You'll sometimes see deer beginning to come out, ducks swimming up to see if you are going to throw them something to eat.  Several young families with children out walking, or enjoying a picnic.  We are not doing this often currently because of the summer heat, even late in the day the temperatures are still in the 90's.

As I mentioned in the last posting, my blood pressure has remained pretty much constant in the 112/60 range.  Walking and exercise have done a lot to get my blood pressure in the normal range.  This goes to show even after the heart, lung problems, and heart surgery, you can take control to regain your health.  And at worst, get yourself as healthy as possible through diet, exercise, and proper medication.   According to Webmd.com some of the causes of high blood pressure are "smoking, being overweight, lack of physical activity, too much salt, drinking too much alcohol, stress, older age, and eating fatty foods."   Mayoclinic.com lists several ways you can lower your blood pressure.  "Stop smoking, reduce caffeine, regularly monitor your blood pressure, reduce stress, lose weight, exercise, eat healthy foods, and reduce your sodium intake."

Some days, not all but some, later after working out I'm walking around the neighborhood where I live.  I've worked out a 1 mile route and normally I will do 2 loops on that route.  I'm doing this sometime around mid-day or early afternoon after lunch.   As I said this is not an every day thing, just when I feel the need to do it. And the heat is making it impossible for me to do it as often as I would like.  It sure is nicer walking this route or the park trail than the 30 - 45 minutes I do on a treadmill each morning.   To think before heart surgery and the first month afterwards, how I would huff and puff taking even slow paced short walks. I have come a long ways back in strengthening myself.  I am now quite sure my stamina will never be as before.   I really think I had unusually good stamina for my age and I miss it.  Cindy thinks as much medication as I now take has to do with not feeling great every day, and tiring more easily.  Maybe she is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT