Monday, October 15, 2012

An Apple a Day? #137

Since beginning to dedicate my time to Cindy's efforts to regain her health I have not written more than three or four post in total versus the six to eight per month prior to that.  What has surprised me is there being more readers now than before.  I do not know what to make of that other than based on the number of reader's originating countries, the interest to improve one's health by those with heart problems is a common issue.   I should be able to answer this next question but I can not due to my lack of internet savvy.  How do those in so many different countries of various languages read this?  Does this site appear in English or is it translated?    Maybe someone will let me know.

I have never written much about the health aspects of apples.  I normally will eat several apples weekly and add apple slices to many of my salads.  Pectin found in whole apples interacts with other apple phytonutrients to provide blood fat lowering effects.  This  regulation of blood fat levels is an important effect in the prevention of heart disease.  Research has also shown eating whole apples help in weight reduction and control.  Eating  a whole apple before a meal can reduce your appetite and calorie intake.   The eating of apples also has a positive impact on bacteria found in your digestive tract.  Antioxidants found in apples are another great benefit to your cardiovascular system.  They protect the membranes of cells that line your blood vessels from the oxidation of fat which is a risk factor for clogging of the arteries.  Research has also found the antioxidants found in apples to be effective in lowering the risk of certain types of cancers.

It should be noted almost all of the materials I have found concerning apples and their health benefits are not strongly associated with eating or drinking apple sauce or apple juice.  Research indicates eating whole apples and the apple skin are the most important forms of gaining the full health benefits found in apples. 

When considering the health value of many fruits we have leaned  the skin of the whole fruit, or an outer layer many times is the most nutrient enriched part of the fruit.   The skin of grapes and the pulp of oranges are excellent examples of this.




No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT