Sunday, June 24, 2012

Heart Healthy Diet Advice #115

The Mediterranean diet remains what I have attempted to most closely use as a guide in determining healthy foods for me.   I am not saying I am a strict follower of the Mediterranean diet.  I would if I could.  I do not cook, and do not do the grocery shopping.  I don't eat much poultry and almost no fish. The salads, olive oil, vegetables, cheese, yogurt, fresh fruits, foods of the Mediterranean diet I do incorporate into my diet.  Especially the cheese, yogurt, olive oil  and salads.   What the Mediterranean diet has in common with the French Paradox, or French diet, is the high amount of fat that is consumed.  Yet cardiovascular disease rates remain low.  One reason is thought to be the good health effects of olive oil.  Another variable is the difference in the fat based foods consumed.  The Mediterranean diet consisting mostly of monounsaturated fats and the absence of large amounts of fat from fried fast foods, processed snack foods and the such.  Also, eating smaller portions and a more physically active oriented lifestyle is a part of the diet of the people of the Mediterranean.

There seems to be one common thread I have found in researching the French and Mediterranean diets.  More emphasis in the culture of enjoying the meal, and dining experience as much as the food itself.  They seem to have the same greater enjoyment of freshly prepared, simpler foods and dishes.  I think we all will agree that before we changed our eating habits and lifestyle, the quality and dining experience were not necessarily important.  It was more about satisfying our desire for instant gratification through food, followed by when and what are we going to eat next.  Sound familiar?  Any regrets?  I know I do.  I sometimes think about for how long I abused and neglected my body and health for my personal gratifications. 

Snacking is another problem for me.   More so than anything else I have changed in my eating habits, is the desire to snack between meals. That has been the most difficult.   I hope I have mastered that by taking advantage of snacking.  Having smaller meals and eating small amounts of fruit in between meals to lessen the desire for the foods I use to have for snacks.   If I have a larger meal for dinner, then I make sure I eat nothing afterwards.  I still will drink a very small glass of skim milk before bedtime, if I am hungry, rather than eating something.   I will repeat what I have told you before about changing your total eating habits to healthy.  For me, I do not see the desire to go back to the old ways to ever completely go away.  There will always be that hunger battle inside yourself. Some small parts of the food desire that is.  I do not ever think about having a hamburger, fries, a beef steak dinner or food like that.  I don't dream about an extravagant Thanksgiving turkey dinner.   It is the small things I miss.  The candy bar, popcorn at a movie, my private supply of butter pecan ice cream, chocolate milk, or a pecan pie.  Yes, in some ways I think it will be like being on a diet from now until I go away, or give in.  And I definitely do not plan on giving in.  Very early in the beginning of this blog I discussed that to me, in my past eating was like being addicted to drugs.  The desire will never ever go away and there is no, "well maybe just once won't hurt."  Once you go back, there is no turning around.

Cindy says I should never end these on a downside.  Easy for her to say. She can eat Cheetos and Snickers candy bars.  I need to tell you a while back she brought home a Snickers for me which I left lying on the kitchen counter for days until it magically disappeared. I ask about it and she said she had gotten mad at me and ate the Snickers to teach me a lesson...................  Don't ask.  I have absolutely no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT