Sunday, April 15, 2012

Staying Healthy #95

A word from the wise.  Do not ever replace carpeting in your home.  You will be better off by selling your home and buying another one that has the new carpeting that you want.  It will be much more expensive, but you will not have to deal with installers and carpet salespeople who make used flim flam salesmen look like giants of integrity.  Yes, we are having that done as I write this on a Friday at 6:20 p.m.   A total carpet replacement that started Monday at 8:00 am and would be completed late Tuesday afternoon is still going Friday night and scheduled to work through Saturday, with Sunday off and completion Monday.  Yes friends, one complete week later.  One week of living out of a paper box to keep your things in as strangers come into your home and move you from room to room to sit among the clutter.  Take how many rooms you have in your home and multiply that times room to room moving.  Everything in the home is taken out, and brought back in at the convenience of total strangers.  Strangers, I might mention, you are paying well to put you through this misery.  Plus I am sitting here with my grandaughter in my office, with a big toe that is swollen and hurts. Why?  Because I stepped on a big carpet tack left as a trap by one of the strangers in my home.  Now my toe has turned red and just adds to the pain of being in misery.   I am wondering where I will sleep tonight since there is no furniture in my bedroom and only a concrete floor to walk on.

Next Day
Well we got through another night from carpet hell.   Ever try walking from your bed to the bathroom in the dark with the pathway blocked by everything from suitcases, to pillows, computer printers, and fax machines.  All  waiting in the dark for you to fall over them.  And you know those installer guys are home in their comfy beds, laughing about how miserable you are.

I don't think I ever told you this, but while I was in the hospital and after surgery, one of the reasons my cardiologist kept me there for another week was a problem of not enough oxygen in my blood.   I was not breathing deeply enough to take in sufficient  oxygen.   I was doing some breathing exercises daily but was not progressing quickly enough to be sent home.  There was discussion that I might have to carry around one of those oxygen bottles for breathing assistance.  That was a scary thought.   That I would be confined to activities where I had to have access to bottled oxygen to help me breathe.   Well, my cardiologist at the time, told me he was against that and did not feel it was necessary.  He told me he would not send me home from the hospital until I could do without bottled oxygen.   And I was thankful for that.  So you can see regardless of how difficult your health circumstances are at this time, do not feel you can not make the strides necessary to return to normal health and an active lifestyle.

Some of you having gone through all of that may feel the same as me.  It is like it was another person all of that happened to.  Could I have really been that unhealthy and sick?

There are a lot of readers out there who are just beginning to go through that and the best advice is go slow, and take steps slowly to change your lifestyle to a healthier one.  Regardless of your current health circumstances, you can improve your health. Medication, your diet, being active as your health permits.  Seeing  your cardiologist often and asking his advice on how you can begin changing to a healthier lifestyle.     Basically that is what we all did and took a patient but determined approach to changing.   When I say patient, or slowly, or small steps I do not mean putting off, or delaying trying to improve your health.  I am saying, do not expect big results in a short period of time.  You should be planning a health lifestyle that you can sustain for years to come.

My last posting #94 was what I thought would be the most popular I have written and hardly anyone has even looked at it.  You just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT