Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Is It Okay To Eat Pink Slime? #93

Well, just as I thought we had a complete understanding of processed and red meats being unhealthy for heart patients, something known as pink slime steps into the picture.  Yes, I know processed meat is bad for the non-heart patient too.   Meaning your grandchildren, children, friends and neighbors eating red meat, and processed meats, are consuming unnatural chemicals which their bodies were not meant to absorb nor process.  Let me tell you how I really feel about this.  We were not, and are not meant to consume red meat.  For my entire life, minus the last three years, I ate any and all the red meat I could and I liked it.  I thought the great U.S. Federal government, beef industry, and food industry were looking out for your and my best health interest and would never provide us with a plate full of chemicals we could just as well fertilize our lawns with as eat.   And every morning we would fry up a  pan full of some marketed and labelled "Grandma's Old Time Country Sausage" to get the day started off like the healthy good ole country folks did.   Knowing grandma would never feed us lawn fertilizer, we jumped right into that plate of sausage, right....And when we took the kids to the Fourth of July picnics and grilled up hot dogs, our children never thought we would feed them warmed up pink slime mixed in with some chemicals to make the hot dog look red and remain edible longer.  Little did we or our children know without the chemicals their hot dogs would have soon turned a greenish yellow and would not have been suitable for human consumption.  Most, not all, but most, of the food industry had absolutely no responsibility with providing good nourishment to our children, it was about using chemicals in processed foods as a marketing and sales aid. Providing healthy foods to ourselves and our families is our responsibility, not Oscar Mayers, or Ray Kroc's.  They were sales and marketing entrepreneurs, not dietitians.  That is about as obnoxious as I know how to be when saying if you are concerned about your heart health, do not ask me if it is okay to eat processed or red meats seasoned in ammonia nitrates.   It is going to drive up your cholesterol levels and begin to damage your coronary arteries again. And it will make it difficult to lower your weight and blood pressure, if you continue eating heart unhealthy foods.   Just go get yourself a slab of prime rib and don't waste your time talking about going on a diet, or walking around the block.  What is the point of all the exercise if you're headed down to McDonald's later for burger and fries?   Do I like to eat charcoaled dry rubbed pork ribs? Do I like the smell of ribs cooking over charcoal?  Do I love them with mustard slaw and bar-b-cue beans? Do I miss eating them?  Absolutely.  But I can never do that again and feel good about myself.  If God ever tells me, well I've got some good news and some bad news.   The good news is go eat that rib dinner tonight, and I'll wait until after you have finished dinner before giving you the other news...So you see, no more bad food for me, we were meant to take care of ourselves.

For the record, what is pink slime?  Lean beef trimmings, which in fact are a by product of the beef butchering process, that go through a centrifuge. Why a centrifuge you may ask?  The trimmings consist of various cuts of beef containing  amounts of fat.  The trimmings are processed through a centrifuge to remove the fat from the trimmings, and at the same time the trimmings are exposed to a "puff" of ammonia.  This is done to raise the PH level of the beef and kill pathogens such as E coli.  So you can not fault the process, or industry for applying standards and processes to make the product safe from dangerous bacteria.  However, chemicals are applied to meet safety standards and to make the product more marketable, acceptable and desirable to the consumer.  Which brings you around to educating yourself about what you are eating and making your own decisions for you and your family.

I believe some people think if you run far and fast enough, exercise hard and long and often, you can eat anything you want and remain healthy.  And that works for some a while....as long as you are young.  For the great majority of us with normal physically functioning bodies, we can not do that and remain healthy.   Another well known healthy 52 year old person that I know of suffered a fatal first heart attack.   If given the opportunity that person would not waste a  prized second chance on  unhealthy foods..................................................


I am not sure I need to write another posting until someone sends a comment or e-mail on what to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT