Friday, February 3, 2012

Healthy Honey And Bananas #76

For those who are just beginning to exercise and are developing a workout routine, we have discussed most of the various exercises I do.  The most popular cardiovascular exercises, are mostly defined as treadmill, elliptical, stairmaster, spinning bike, or rowing.  The last two bike and rowing, have several variations and are based on the same motions as riding a bicycle, or rowing a boat.   You may remember I wrote about the elliptical many postings ago, perhaps during last summer.  I do not use the elliptical.  It has good cardiovascular motion, works a lot of various muscles, and there are several different types of ellipticals. Each type with a slightly different motion.  You just need to find one with a leg and arm motion you are comfortable with.  That is why I am not using one.  My previous fitness center had a specific model that I used daily and felt very comfortable with.  My current center has 4 or 5 different models, with an array of motions, but not one I prefer, or have been accustomed to using.  I increased my usage of the treadmill to maintain a  minimum in cardiovascular exercise time.   In addition, I do several exercises on strength machines, which you have heard me discuss.   I know any of the exercises I do on strength machines provides a high level of cardiovascular exercise.  If you push yourself to do and complete the exercise you are performing, you will increase your heart rate and circulation.  So as a beginner, do not be concerned that you may not be getting cardiovascular benefit from doing exercises, other than treadmill time.  Which is good, don't get me wrong,  the treadmill is a critical part of my total program.

Bananas are another fruit I eat daily and recommend for it's cardiovascular and weight control benefits.  First of all, bananas are available throughout the year.   They are good sources of vitamin A, iron, phosphorus, and potassium.   They help regulate your heart rate, and blood pressure.  Bananas contain the  chemical substance tryptophan also found in turkey, which has a soothing and relaxing effect on your nervous system.   Bananas are also a great source of natural energy.   I would tell you to include them in your new heart healthy foods daily diet.

Honey is also something I try to eat a small amount of daily.  Honey is a great natural sweetener, helps reduce overall cholesterol levels, and increases your antioxidant levels.   My reading on honey explained it is difficult  to assign specific antioxidants and nutrients to any one honey, as the plants and pollen collected by bees to make honey is so varied it effects the total health make up of honey.   Sometimes I will take a small amount of sunflower kernels, uncooked oatmeal, and a couple of pecans or walnuts and combine in a cup.  I then pour honey over this,  mixing it in and making my own mid-morning granola sweet snack.

I am knocking on wood as I say this, my weight has remained constant for the last several months.  During the holidays I probably picked up a few pounds, but have dropped them off and am about 4 pounds below my normal weight.  Eliminating the holiday sweet treats and getting back into a solid workout routine did the trick for me.  

Next time we may discuss more on weight loss, and dieting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT