Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cholesterol, Red Meat and Processed Meats #78

We went over healthy foods, weight loss, and changing our eating habits to a healthier lifestyle in our last post.  I also told you we would discuss eating processed and red meats.

If you have been following this blog, you know my beliefs on eating red meats. These are my opinions only, based on what I believe about eating healthy foods and its importance for your body to function as nature intended.    I believe that when mankind was created, his physical make up and body function, was based on eating the fruits and vegetable plant foods nature provided for him.   This is not a spiritual thing and I am not attempting to indicate such.   This is what I believe about being healthy and eating foods that provide the natural substances and in the levels needed by our bodies.  To continue, I further believe over a long period of time, for whatever reasons, mankind evolved himself to eating meat from animals.  From that I conclude our bodies were not designed to absorb, use, or need all of the fats, nutrients, and proteins we get from eating red meat.  Nor are our bodies meant to utilize the manufactured substances added to those foods.   That is my position for those of you who did not know.  

I ate red meat and processed meat my entire life prior to having a heart attack.   And I liked eating it, and ate a lot of it. More than I should have, and along the way, the fats I consumed through eating red meat were a major contributor to me having clogged arteries, which led to having a heart attack.   I believe red meats also contain chemicals in the form of preservatives, which are harmful to your body and could lead to forms of cancer.  Processed meats, bacon, salami, hot dogs, sausage, bologna, deli meats, luncheon meats are all high in sodium, saturated fats, chemical preservatives, are bad for your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and lead to heart disease.   I have written in detail about this earlier and won't bore you with repetition at this time.   You will need to decide what you want to do about reducing the amount of red meats you eat.   For the sake of clarity, when I say red meats, I am including processed meats.  Continuing eating red meat will reduce the amount of weight you will lose, and it will definitely increase your LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.    It is a lot to ask to stop eating red meat.  It is a major, major commitment.    It was very easy for me.  No really it was.  I was ready, had given it a lot of thought, knew it was damaging my health and would eventually lead to a heart attack or cancer.  Read my 1-3 earliest postings.  So good luck, I think you can continue eating red meat in moderation and improve your heart health from where you are now.  How red meat is prepared, or cooked, and avoiding processed meats will be of importance. Continued regular exercise, weight control, and practicing eating healthy will be your key to regaining your health.  So I am not condemning eating red meat.  I am only practicing what I think is best for my health.  Cindy and I will on occasion have red meat that may or may not be in soup or chili she makes.   I do think heart patients should absolutely stay away from processed meat and this includes all fast food red meat burgers.

What are total cholesterol levels you should know?  Total cholesterol level 240 and above is considered high risk of potential heart attack.  200-239 is borderline high, and below 200 is a desirable level.  Cholesterol is found only in foods of animal origin.  Meats, fats, dairy, eggs, poultry, and fish you consume.  Plant foods contain no harmful cholesterol, such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, grains.  Most fish contain good cholesterol from omega 3 fats.  Lean meats contain less harmful cholesterol than fatty red meats, and chicken or turkey with skin.  Turkey or chicken breast without the skin is very low in cholesterol and provides you with needed protein.

A word of caution here from me.  A cholesterol level of less than 240 doesn't mean you are safe from having a heart attack, and below 200 no worry of heart attack.  For a few years, up until I had a heart attack, I stayed in the 185-220 cholesterol level.  You have to consider your lifestyle has a lot to do with it.  I was not exercising, carried a lot of stress, was overweight, and did not eat anywhere close to healthy.   So you need to factor all of these when considering how much meat, what kind, and how it is prepared that you eat.

More healthy foods next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT