Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Grapes And Exercising #79

If I am going to write a heart health and healthy food blog, I am going to have to practice what I preach, or write, would be a more appropriate way to put it.  Also to let you know when I cross the line.   Well, you remember me bragging about Cindy's pecan pie making, and my birthday coming up and how I preached about sometimes you eat something then ask yourself why did I do that?  Well, I ask myself why did I do that twice after she made me a hot pecan pie for my birthday.  That's right, once wasn't enough, I went for one more large slice the day after my birthday.  I can do without all that fast food, burgers, fries, any of  that sort of food but don't tempt me with a hot pecan pie, I will have absolutely no will power.   The remainder of it went down the disposal.

I never finished up on bananas, other than saying they are one of the fruits I eat daily.  Known as a  high energy fruit, bananas are high in potassium, and vitamin C.  In addition to their cardiovascular benefits bananas are also an effective stomach antacid and good for your digestive system.

Grapes are another fruit regular in my daily diet.  Full of health benefits, grapes are high in phytonutrients, manganese, and vitamin K.   Phytonutrients are nutrients found in foods which protect our bodies from disease.  Manganese protects your body cells from free radical damage, maintain healthy blood sugar levels, and helps synthesize fatty acids and cholesterol.  Vitamin K helps prevent calcification of your arteries, and provides protection against liver and prostrate cancers.  I also will mention, I read where grapes should be thoroughly washed before eating.  I know, we wash all fruit before eating, but apparently grapes are highly susceptible to insects,  disease, and are sprayed frequently with various chemicals by the growers.

My exercises and workouts are going great.  My endurance and strength is improving.   I have added the assisted chin up to my regular workout.  I had a trainer work with me on it, and he instructed me on how to properly adjust it.  My leg lifts and horizontal bar pull ups are helping my posture, and for some reason the treadmill doesn't seem nearly as boring.  Today, while waiting to use an abdominal machine
being used by someone else, their phone rang in their pocket.  They stopped, answered, and proceeded to sit on the machine and talk as if they were lounging in their favorite chair at home.  I waited for a while then ask if I could use the machine, they nodded, continued on the phone and moved so I could use it.  Makes me wonder why someone would be so out of touch as to sit on exercise equipment in a busy fitness center and talk on the telephone while folks are waiting for their turn on that equipment. 

Today is kind of a boring gloomy day, and I am looking forward to working out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT