Monday, October 24, 2011

Breakfast, Weight Loss, And New Management #48

For a while I have been complaining about some things at our fitness center.  I felt at the time that management was weak at supervision, organization, and strong at selling trial memberships.  This is a large facility with a large membership.  It is not what I consider to be a typical fitness center facility.  It is more like an upscale resort with Italian marble floors, walls, counters, indoor pools and spas, and more.  You go into the lockers, showers, changing areas and it is like the Ritz-Carlton.  There are two basketball courts and a large indoor rockwall climbing area. An entire second story dedicated to workout equipment galore. I like it, I enjoy it, and I look forward to going there daily.  But... there just always has to be a but..., the cleanliness makes all of those nice amenities less glamorous.  I mean it had gotten nasty.  And the employees would walk past things that needed to be done, or congregate at the front desk with a fresh cup of coffee and visit with coming and going members.  After talking to the general manager, yes, my past management hard headiness wouldn't let it pass. I had a personal responsibility to go talk directly to the GM and tell him what needed to be done.  When Cindy and Michelle found out they were mortified. Michelle concerned about her social status quo, and Cindy said we would have to drop the membership and leave town for a couple of months.  As you can see my two principal advocates have limitations on how far they will endorse me.  Well ,without taking up further space and time here,  I will just say I decided the GM was the problem.  Well guess who is no longer general manager, or employed there?   See, I told you so.  The new GM has been there a couple of months and what a difference.  Employees better not be found hanging at the front desk and any dirty towels, or trash in their work area.  No more letting non-member friends in on the side or you're gone.  Hey, I saw the new guy in the parking lot giving a personal talk to one of his folks about why all the trash containers were not emptied.  He has certainly gotten things organized and headed in the right direction.  With a large facility, once people and responsibilities get out of control, you have problems quickly, and they multiply.  I think that is what had happened.  The new GM is having to micro manage to get things back to where they need to be and that is the way I like it.

I never completely finish telling you about oatmeal.   I credit oatmeal with helping me lose weight.  I have eaten and liked oatmeal since I was a kid.  But it was something I might eat once or twice a month.  When I started out to lose weight and change eating habits, I knew I would need to eat breakfast daily.  Something I had not done in the previous 40 years.  Eat breakfast daily that is.  Never ever did I do that in my adult life.  Breakfast was a Saturday or Sunday thing for us when our kids were growing up.  During the week I was never at home during breakfast.  If I were traveling, it was coffee and cereal or a honey bun for me.  Now oatmeal has become my breakfast of choice.  And it has been each morning for the last two years.  Why oatmeal?  I liked the taste, it is healthy, helps lower your cholesterol, blood pressure, and is very filling.   Eat a big bowl, don't skimp on it. No milk, butter, or sugar added.  just plain oatmeal, and hot.  Yum, yum.   As I have said many times, I eat it for lunch too for the same reasons.  If you are serious about losing weight, keeping it off, improving your health, and good heart condition you should make oatmeal a fundamental part of your eating healthy.  Don't laugh it off, try it.  You will be e-mailing me telling me I was right.  I am sure there are some other breakfast foods out there just as healthy, I don't know of any similar to oatmeal in benefits.  It is not easy to find a simple food that fits low calories, and all the health benefits of oatmeal.  Looking for those food traits, lead me to fruits after oatmeal when I was deciding foods to focus on when I made my changes. 

Next maybe we need to talk about exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT