Sunday, July 8, 2012

Healthier Salads Going Nuts #119

We have discussed some of the health benefits of spinach, which Cindy and I eat quite often.  Usually in salads and very often we use baby spinach.  We do on occasion have cooked spinach.  I like spinach cooked in a particular vegetarian pasta dish I enjoy called sostanza.

Spinach has been referred to by many nutritionists and articles as a power plant and considered one of the most highly nutrient rich vegetables.  I frequently take a small handful of baby spinach and eat it almost as I would a chip like snack.  I also may take baby spinach and add to an avocado vegetarian sandwich Cindy makes.  Spinach can be lightly grilled or sauteed with other vegetables and served mixed with olive oil and garlic.  There are many possibilities on how to enjoy and frequently eat this most healthy vegetable.  Since I am not much of a cook, once I get past oatmeal, I need to depart from spinach recipes and go to some of the health benefits. 

Spinach is packed with several powerful nutrients.  Worlds Healthiest Foods ranks spinach as the top vegetable for nutrient content.  Rich in vitamins, minerals, and the healthy phytonutrients, beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin.  Baby spinach, which normally is stored in clear plastic plastic containers, has been shown to not lose antioxidant value when stored in this manner and exposed to light.  Studies have shown spinach to offer significant protection against prostrate cancer. Helps lower blood pressure and blood vessel related problems.  Research has shown spinach to contain anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory flavenoids.  It is also high in vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B2, B6, manganese, folate, and iron.  Vitamin K is important for good bone health especially as you grow older.  I have read where spinach should not be washed before storing due to water encouraging spoilage.  It is suggested to wash only just before usage.

I eat a lot of walnuts by adding them to a salad or as a mid-day snack.  While doing some research on walnuts, I was extremely surprised to read where less than 6% of all adults eat any type of tree nuts.  I certainly do my part by making pecans and walnuts a part of my regular diet.  Walnuts are rich in vitamin E and antioxidants which reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes.  Walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.  When I was a child, we only ate walnuts during the Christmas holidays.  I grew up thinking walnuts were a special holiday treat and only when I became an adult did I realize they were available throughout the year.  Add to the list of healthy nuts that are part of my regular diet,  pecans.  Pecans, similar to walnuts, are also high in vitamin E, antioxidants, and are considered to be an excellent source of protein. 

Let me give you a small tip on how I incorporate such a variety of nuts and seeds into my daily diet.  First we always have some in our pantry. Next we eat a lot of salads.  Virtually in every salad we have at home, I am adding walnuts, pecans, sunflower kernels, strawberries, grapes, maybe bananas, maybe apples.

Next topic is learning more about gluten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT