Saturday, January 21, 2012

Healthy Vegetables or Fried Donut Cheeseburger? #70

Today I  read in our newspaper an article on a local restaurant that is serving glazed donut double cheeseburgers, which have become a popular menu item for them.  The owner says "they've been flying off the shelves."  What can you say about someone proud to be serving the public fried sugar coated pastry double cheeseburgers?  Here is how they are prepared.  Two glazed donuts are grilled and served as the buns on two beef patties with cheese, and a special "juke juice." Can you imagine the cholesterol and calories?  Maybe a good question is, why would someone eat it?  A glazed donut is typically 260 calories, and that's only one.  There are two of these sugar coated fried treats surronding the double meat cheeseburger. When they say grilled, that probably means in grease on a griddle. Well there's no point, it is just I think it is ridiculous anyone would serve it.  I do know one person who would like to eat a glazed donut double cheeseburger, and he lived with me from the time he was born until he got a good job.

Have you noticed it has been a while since I have mentioned vegetables as part of my healthy diet?  I have noticed and there is a reason.  Negligence is why.  Cindy and I eat a lot of salads, but I don't think I am eating enough other vegetables.  We have slacked off on that.  I am going to be thinking out loud here.   We are getting enough lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, cucumbers (not one of my favorites), and some green beans.  I am pretty sure that is about 90% of the vegetables we eat.   Now what are we missing that we use to eat?  Spinach, one of my favorites.  Along with tomatoes, spinach is rated as one of the most healthy foods you can eat.  I really can't list all of the healthy nutrients and vitamins found in spinach.   Another I like, corn, contains antioxidant carotenoids, and is a good source of fiber.  Alpha carotene, beta carotene, zeaxanthin,  lutein, and cryptoxanthin, are predominant cartenoids found in vegetables.  These cartenoids provide a source of vitamin A, enhance your immune system, and help your reproductive system function properly.  They also reduce the risk of certain forms of cancer.  These cartenoids are needed by your body and found in abundance in carrots, squash, tomatoes, corn, green beans, spinach, turnip greens, collard greens, red bell peppers, broccoli, brussels sprouts, peas, and  sweet potatoes.   We will try to do better on vegetables by having maybe more of a variety, but in fairness, Cindy and I do eat a lot of vegetables, just not a wide variety.  Tonight for dinner we had baked potatoes, and a large garden salad.  I put mustard on my baked potato...... which is good.  Try it you may find as I did you like it.   Michelle and I also like worcestershire sauce on our baked potatoes.

For various reasons, I have been out of my regular exercise regiment since the last week of October.  To a compulsive person like me, that's not good and it is even worse for staying committed to doing all you can to be healthy.  There were a few days that I could go workout that I had to really force myself to do it.  I was looking for reasons not to go.  That is what happens when I get out of my regimented comfort zone.  I am not compulsive about every facet of my life, but time and a routine order hold a power over me.  And that very well could be why losing weight and keeping it off was not such a ordeal for me once I got into the routine of it.  Have A for breakfast, B for snack C for lunch  and so forth.  A daily structured routine worked for me.  To finish up, I have been back in my full exercise routine now for 2 weeks and I feel much better physically and mentally.  As a matter of fact, if my back pains do not return in the next few days I am going to be adding two new exercises to my regular workout session.   

Stay away from those fried glazed donut double cheeseburgers.
Next time antioxidants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT