Friday, January 6, 2012

2012: Doomsday Or A Healthier You #65

Yesterday and today were the first consecutive days that I have been able to do my complete workout exercise routine in almost 3 weeks.  I adjusted one exercise from 3 sets of 10 to 2 sets of 10 and that was the only change.  I told Cindy yesterday...  I exercised and she opted for going shopping....that it felt very good to workout and be able to do all of my exercises complete with no back pain. Today I went, bright and early, to try and go through the complete routine again.  Which I did with no lower back stress.   Tomorrow is a Monday so I am going to make a serious effort to get back in my daily regimented exercise routine.  I am sure you could tell I felt like I was slipping backwards and losing some of the progress and benefits I had gained from being so consistent in my workout routine.

Cindy and I quietly celebrated in the New Year with dinner out and coming home to watch a movie.   We ended our New Years Eve with champagne, I had to cheat just a little and move my celebration up about an hour, Cindy made it to official midnight.  I couldn't do that.  I blamed it on all the medication I take.

I am wondering how crowded my fitness center is going to be for the next couple of weeks.  Lots of members at our center don't come often, but you know how New Year resolutions are, with exercise and weight loss promises for the coming year.  So I figure there is going to be a pretty good crowd at first and then it will thin out back to the regulars before too long.  How about you?  I hope you are not one of those slackers.  You should have learned from my recent experience of  how important consistency is in exercising for heart patients.

Diet is another major issue and a New Years promise that a lot of people make to themselves.  What I am about to say is for heart patients.  Those with heart problems who need to lose weight.  Going on a diet is not, I repeat is not, going to be the fix for you.  What diet are you going on?  One of those info commercials you see on TV?  Some quick, big weight loss diet a friend told you about.  I don't think so, your heart and overall health are too important at our age.  Take an honest look at your eating habits, and decide if you are ready to make a commitment to yourself to change your eating habits to begin to eat healthy.  You won't make it work if your not ready to do it.  This is not like some diet where you stop eating burgers and fries for 3 weeks, eat some microwaved prepared meals, and magic happens and you lost 4 inches in the waist.  No this is different.  It is small steps of change over a long period of time.   We are not looking for big weight loss real quick like.  It won't happen that way.   You don't even have to weigh yourself for the first 4-6 weeks.  Who cares?  You decide what you are eating that is not healthy for you and replace it. Replace Cokes, diet and regular, for water and fruit juice....chips and dip for strawberries, and so forth.   We are going to continue this next time.

Finally, let's get this part over with...2012 doomsday year, we're done, it's over, some discovered stone tablets and crystal skulls in the jungles of Central America have sealed our fate.....Well, I remember at the stroke of midnight when we went from 1999 to 2000, the world would erupt into uncontrolled chaos as all computers and expensive gold watches with calendars and such, would destroy world order.  I don't know about your computer but mine is so slow I am pretty sure I can out run it should it decide it wants to take over and rule us.

Let's focus on making 2012 the year we get and stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT