Thursday, November 3, 2011

Heart Patients Stamina, Energy and Exercise #50

Today is Sunday, a day I almost never have gone to my fitness center for a workout. It is normally the busiest day of the week if you go during normal hours, which I did not.  I went in very early, on purpose. First, I have been waking up early and wanted to go in early today to avoid the crowd.  You can believe there was no crowd when I went in.  Just a few yawning exercise enthusiast, or insominacs who exercise at weird hours for therapy.  I not sure which group I fall into.  I am pretty sure it is both.  I have not worked out for the last two days, and did not want to make it three consectutive days of no exercise routine.  It really felt good to be going through my routine, and tried a new exercise on an assisted chin up strength machine.  I have been wanting to use this but was not sure I could do it.  Was not sure if it would be beneficial to me, and was hesitant to use it in front of a lot of people for the first time.   It went well and after some adjustments to suit my strength level, I did pretty good on it.

The more I exercise, the more convinced I am about a regular exercise routine of some sort being critical to heart patients recovery and return to some sort of normal activity.  It has positively reduced my blood pressure.   It has firmed up muscles, contributed to weight loss, and increased my strength.  My one nagging concern is my stamina, or lack thereof.  I wonder where I would be if I had not been exercising regularly.   I need to talk to my cariologist about it when I have my next check up and exam.  I am going to give you an example of what I am experiencing.  Let's say I can easily lift 100 pounds without straining myself.  And that after doing that I can continue with doing normal stuff, like yard work, things around the house, going to Home Depot, whatever.  All of a sudden, very quickly my energy level goes to almost zero.  I have to sit and rest.  Normally I go up to my office, sit at my desk and fool around on the computer.  It becomes difficult for me to focus my thoughts, I continue to get tired and become sleepy enough to take a nap. As I have told you before, my energy level does not return to full strenght after a few hours.  Normally I need several hours of quite and rest.  You can imagine how much fun I am for Cindy to be around.  After an hour or so I begin to get some energy back, but it is not like I could go workout, or walk around the block.   I suspect this is not necessarily the same for all who have had heart problems.  I am guessing the loss of stamina has a lot to do with how much blood your coronary arteries and heart can pump through out your circulation system.

We will talk more about exercise and healthy food next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT