Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chicken, Walnuts, and Tomatoes #33

Eating healthy is something I enjoy as much as my daily exercising.  I don't think it is wise for you as you get older to look back with a lot of regrets about what you did or did not do.   But I do regret not eating healthy when I was  younger and had a young family.  I would have felt much better about myself, been more physically fit and healthy.

Chicken is the world's primary source of animal protein and a healthy alternative to red meat.  Chicken provides high amounts of protein, niacin, selenium, and vitamin B6.  Selenium is a trace mineral, and is of fundamental importance to human health.  It provides powerful antioxidants, and some studies reveal it reduces the risk of certain forms of cancer. And it lowers LDL cholesterol. Niacin which is vitamin B3 is also an antioxidant and helps lower bad cholesterol levels.  A 4 oz. serving of skinless chicken breast contains 233 calories and is very low in fat.  Cindy and I normally eat chicken 3 or 4 times a week. 

We also eat salads and I use walnuts in my salads, as well as eating them as a snack.  A very small handful is many calories. A quarter of cup contains 163 calories.  They are very high in vascular health benefits.  Along with strawberries and tomatoes they are some of the healthiest foods I eat.  Walnuts are one of the best plant sources of protein.  They are considered tree nuts along with macadamia, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans and pistachios.  All of which are high in calorie content.  My ceasing to eat red meats led me to eating walnuts for the protein.  They lower your cholesterol, and improve your blood vessel walls elasticity.  They contain and increase the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in your red blood cells.  If you have not tried them, I suggest putting some in your next salad.  I haven't found any kind of salad that they do not go well with.

For those who eat turkey, I found through researching several healthy food websites, that chicken and turkey were virtually identical in protein, fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol contents.  The one glaring difference, other than taste, was calories.  A 4 oz. serving of turkey is 153 calories which is 80 calories or 35% less than chicken.

Tomatoes are another of my favorite foods.  Mostly with salads, or for lunch, just some summer ripe sliced tomatoes, maybe with some canned tuna.   Too my surprise, many "health food experts" rate tomatoes as being either the number one or in the top 3 most healthy foods you can eat.  Very high in vitamins C, A and K.  Also containing many more healthy B vitamins, vitamin E and potassium.  Tomatoes are an excellent source of lycopene which is a powerful antioxidant in the prevention of heart disease and certain forms of cancer.  The nutrients are better absorbed by your body when eating tomatoes that have been processed, or cooked.  We eat cooked tomatoes in soups, meatless marinara sauce, and chili.  Tomatoes are also very low in calories, 38 in one cup.

Next time we we talk more health foods and exercising.


No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT