Sunday, March 25, 2012

Back to Great Health #90

As much as I have preached to you about the importance of exercise and how I enjoy it, there are and have been many times I would have much rather stayed home in bed, sleeping late and not going.  There was always that thought that once I started not pushing myself forward I would get out of my routine and eventually would lose all that I had gained. But when I got there I enjoyed it very much and I always felt good about myself. You too will take a lot of pride in yourself as you gain physical improvements. It also was being around the people there, who are much like me. It was mostly the same crowd working out , day after day.  I kept thinking that some day my health would so much improve that I would be completely back to normal.   I think I got there.  Around last Christmas I could tell a big difference.   The sudden loss of stamina, and needing to rest slowly but surely dwindled away.  My grandson and I do a lot of things together, which normally is quite often.  Usually he enjoys us going out back and finding "man work" to do.  Anything from picking up limbs and hauling them off, to digging with a shovel..but slowly over an hour or so I would fade away.  My stamina failing me and I would have to disappoint him and tell him we had done enough.   I now can go for the entire day at a normal pace and not lose all my stamina.  Now look, I know I can't do the hard manual labor, difficult yard work, or what have you. But for my age I believe I can keep up with most other same age healthy guys.

My heart rate has improved and now is is  staying in the 65 to 73 rate when relaxed.  When I workout I usually feel invigorated and not tired or out of breath.  When I first started working out, I would feel tired after a hard workout for a short while.  Over a period of time as I continued on a regular basis, my heart and circulation strengthened and my physical abilities grew.  Over a long period of time I have exercised myself back to a physical level that is better than where I was years before having heart problems.   Let us not over look weight loss and eating a healthy diet are major contributors in the overall improvement of my health.

I have been watching a program on TV I really enjoy.  It is a reality program about a guy who travels around, finding classic collector cars, and going to automobile auctions.   And I thought that would be fun, he is pretty lucky to be able to do that.

Cindy's sister's husband owns a chain of new car dealerships based in another state and town.  About a month ago they called me out of nowhere and offered me a deal going to automobile auctions finding and buying late model pre-owned cars and trucks for their dealerships.  I can not tell you how much I am enjoying it.   Why am I telling you?   Well, I truly believe if I had not under taken changing my lifestyle a couple of years ago rather than just giving up on things, I could not physically meet the demands of what I am now doing.

I also truly feel I have achieved a level of health that would have been ludicrous to even consider before, or after I had a heart attack.   I do not know what more I can do to improve my health.  I know I still have a lot to do in maintaining my current health level.  I will continue to write about my health, and do my best to encourage and tell you of my experiences in exercising and eating healthy foods.

Remember, that  eating a heart healthy diet is going to have much to do with your recovery.  Fruits, vegetables, salads, soups, oatmeal, fruit juices, nuts, chicken fish will all lead to lower LDL cholesterol and a more sustainable weight loss program. 
It is time for me to go work out.   See you later....

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT